what is this looks like fancy poo

hndmarshall

5 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

You should mention where it was found

I dont really know location unknown my friend picked it up in a box of rocks at a garage sale

I think it may be a sandstone concretion.
They can be pretty amazing:

~~.jpg

Yours has a bilateral symmetry tendency, which would be a characteristic that might narrow down the type of accreting mineral involved.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No, not poo at all. It has some similarities of a sandstone concretion (as already pointed out) but also some similarities of a worn desert rose (both are technically speaking not so different). I think a worn ikaite-pseudomorph is not a possibility.

Franz Bernhard

45 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I think it may be a sandstone concretion.
They can be pretty amazing:

~~.jpg

Yours has a bilateral symmetry tendency, which would be a characteristic that might narrow down the type of accreting mineral involved.

I do believe you are correct! look what i found... it says calcite.

Calcite sand crystal take 1_large.JPG

@hindmarshall has nailed it. Calcite crystals replaced with sand but retaining the crystal form. Nice in there own "gritty" way. @Auspex's sandstone concretion is really cool too. Poo on the original idea.

The calcite crystals (dog tooth spar) precipitate out of ground water and cement the loose quartz sand grains into the crystal's lattice structure. An evaporate. Occurrences in South Dakota are mentioned.

Pretty nice! :)
They are called "sand calcite". Take a look here .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

@hindmarshall has nailed it. Calcite crystals replaced with sand but retaining the crystal form. Nice in there own "gritty" way. Auspex's sandstone concretion is really cool too. Poo on the original idea.

The calcite has grown in sand forming crystals. The crystals contain inclusions of sand. The sand has not replaced the crysyals.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

What John said is correct. For more details you can check this document. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived