Archaeohippus mannulus, sp. nov.

Monroecreekian/Harrisonian terrestrial claystone

Arikareean, late Oligocene/early Miocene

Pinellas County, Florida

On permanent display at the Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainesville, Fl.

I discovered this particular specimen back in 95 while collecting fossils in a shallow creek.

Initially thought to be a new species of Miohippus, it was sent to the Museum Of Natural History in Gainesville Fl. for further studies.

In 2003 it was determined to be a new species of Archaeohippus rather than Miohippus. 

IMG_5831 copy.png

3.png

I initially brought this specimen to the attention of Dave Letasi who at that time was working at The Museum of Science & Industry in St. Petersburg, Fla.. I have to admit here that I myself didn't know what it was exactly, only that I knew it wasn't the common Plio-Pleistecene material we always find. It was a funny meeting as both of us thought we were pulling each others leg. He kept asking me over & over "Where did you really find it"?, thinking that it was possibly a Miohippus from the badlands of Nebraska/Wyoming. I kept telling him it was from north Pinellas. One thing he was certain of is that it shouldn't be here. And so far south into Florida. Geologically speaking, it was thought of at that time that anything south-west of Brooksville to have been under the water during the late Oligocene early Miocene. 

Beautiful! Not sure how i missed this. And thank you for your donation.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Archived