Dinosaur skin plate?

Crazyhen

This specimen was said to be the skin plate/shield of a dinosaur.  Locality is not known.  Any idea what it is and if it is genuine fossil?

DEF56CF9-658E-4950-9112-C98D7AD67B3D.jpeg

2CFF717A-13BF-4F29-9A41-083DCC159533.jpeg

366A104A-2E8B-4839-AAC2-73E93F3316E3.jpeg

E2A62E58-192E-4681-ACDF-A587FF3423A0.jpeg

213772D7-38B2-4C0A-912B-B04CED130790.jpeg

Without knowing the locale it is almost impossible to give an opinion or a precise ID. But this looks a lot like Crocodile/Scute material. :dinothumb:

HugeScute.jpg

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

16 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Thanks, my friend. The seller is focused on selling fossils from Gansu but he also has a few fossils from other localities.

You are welcome, my dear friend! :D

No problem, either way, it's a beautiful scute! By the way, please remove the link from the seller on my replica. I am now on a mobile device and link, but it was not on purpose.

Hugs my friend! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

7 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

please remove the link from the seller on my replica

Done

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Done

;)

Thank you, my dear friend. And I'm sorry! :D

03.PNG

1 hour ago, Crazyhen said:

The seller just told me that the scute is from Xinjiang of China.

Quite problematic... Everything is too fast to label that it is dinosaur skin, but the fact is that it is not... Everything is too fast to label that was discovered in Xinjiang of China, but the fact is that the coloring of the fossil does not match with other Xinjiang fossils. My advice is, run away of the Crocoproblematicus my dear friend! :dinothumb:

film__4473-crocodile-dundee--hi_res-d8ee

03.PNG

30 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Quite problematic... Everything is too fast to label that it is dinosaur skin, but the fact is that it is not... Everything is too fast to label that was discovered in Xinjiang of China, but the fact is that the coloring of the fossil does not match with other Xinjiang fossils. My advice is, run away of the Crocoproblematicus my dear friend! :dinothumb:

film__4473-crocodile-dundee--hi_res-d8ee

Indeed, the seller might just want to confuse people saying that it is from Xinjiang.  And good to see my favorite movie character Crocodile Dundee.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Indeed, the seller might just want to confuse people saying that it is from Xinjiang.  And good to see my favorite movie character Crocodile Dundee.  Thanks!

Yes,  Crocodile Dundee! ;)

There are much better examples out there of great Scutes of crocodiles with excellent prices in Kem Kem, for example!

You are whenever welcome my great friend! :D

03.PNG

13 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

favorite movie character Crocodile Dundee.  Thanks

I don’t know if you’re joking but I do love this movie . I am with the others crocodile scute. I would like to get myself a large croc scute at some point.    :D 

10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I don’t know if you’re joking but I do love this movie . I am with the other crocodile scute. I would like to get myself a large croc scute at some point.    :D 

I’m not joking, Crocodile Dundee is my favorite movie and the music score too:D

+1 on crocodile osteoderm

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Preservation looks like something African, maybe Erlhaz formation (Niger, then it would be Sarcosuchus) or Elosuchus from Kem Kem beds, Morocco. These are probably the most likely options regarding the size and color.

The Tooth Fairy

The conglomerate strip found in the kem kem beds is normally lighter with streaks of red in it. If it is from Africa and I say if, i feel safe and certain enough to say this has not come from Morocco.

Thanks Matt

Archived