Is it a shark tooth?

Kristin R

I found this late this summer in Emerald Isle, NC (prior to Florence). My family lives there and we are all avid sharks tooth and beach fossil collectors. We are divided as to whether this is a sharks tooth and I would love to hear some opinions! Thank you! Hopefully the experts here can help settle this discussion once and for all! 

E0777497-9AE8-4BF5-A090-B8753EDBCCCF.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Kristin R said:

I found this late this summer in Emerald Isle, NC (prior to Florence). My family lives there and we are all avid sharks tooth and beach fossil collectors. We are divided as to whether this is a sharks tooth and I would love to hear some opinions! Thank you! Hopefully the experts here can help settle this discussion once and for all! 

E0777497-9AE8-4BF5-A090-B8753EDBCCCF.jpeg

Hi There,

Alas .. just a suggestively shaped rock.  Mother nature makes a lot of these characters.  They excite even the seasoned fossil hunter on occasion.  No sign of enamel but it does look like it might have some bivalve impressions in there so you are probably in the right spot to pick up something interesting. 

Cheers,

Brett

I apologize in advance for posting before in the wrong area (I think). I’m a newbie to this forum but am already so excited about it! My family and I are avid sharks tooth and beach fossil collectors in Emerald Isle, NC. I found this in the late summer (pre-Florence) on the beach in the backwash. It has a shape very similar to other teeth I’ve found but the color and texture is so different! I welcome your opinions; hopefully it will help to settle our family’s disagreement on this one! Thank you, in advance, for your time and I look forward to participating in this forum! 

image.jpg

Thank you so much! We have found some GREAT teeth and fossils in that area! I agree- there are a lot of suggestively shaped rocks out there! Have a great night!

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately that is an ordinary rock. At least you still found fossil teeth nevertheless!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

• 2 weeks later...

Shark Teeth (many fossilized whale teeth do not) are going to have smooth enamel unless it is just a broken off root, in which case it is usually not worth keeping anyways.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, Kristin R said:

Thank you so much! We have found some GREAT teeth and fossils in that area! I agree- there are a lot of suggestively shaped rocks out there! Have a great night!

I live in the area. Can you post pictures of some of the other teeth and fossils you've found?

Archived