South central Kansas

Ksgal

I'm trying to clean the limestone and loose sediment off this speciman. I'm not sure if I am wasting my time. Or if this is a fossil. I'm a novice hoping to find a cool fossil, but old enough to admit failure, if this isn't a fossil. Please help.

To me, (the inexperienced novice) lol. It looks like a small skull and neck vertebra of a iguana type??

20180923_010626.jpg

20180923_010509.jpg

20180923_010344.jpg

1 hour ago, Ksgal said:

but old enough to admit failure, if this isn't a fossil. 

You should definitely wait for a second opinion, but my prediction is that it will be necessary. Sorry. 

Where did you find the specimen?

I might be wrong, but I don't think I can actually see any fossil material.. :headscratch:

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Not seeing anything on the outside doesn't mean there isn't something inside though. Just sayin'. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

i agree there is a possibility that there is something inside it but ther is only patterns on the outside

Hard to tell for sure, but looking at the below picture, I think I can see septarian-like infilled propagation cracks (mineral walls, maybe with double rows), which may look like a vertebral column. That not means there can't be fossils in the nodule / concretion.

20180923_010159.jpg.f9c43d35d169b918acf26cce6ce2cf48.thumb.jpg.c442b5656abdc0860b77f881e1749d06.jpgseptarian-nodules-mineral-pockets.thumb.jpg.48cad0d6857caa43d2a0cdc9873e6c01.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library