Calvert Cliffs MD bone ID

frankh8147

Hello!

I found this bone at Brownies Beach (Calvert Cliffs MD, Miocene) and have been trying to figure out what it is with no luck. Anyone know?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!  -Frank

cbone1.jpg

cbone2.jpg

cbone3.jpg

cbone11.jpg

cbone33.jpg

It doesn't seem to have a bony texture, although the shape is interesting. Almost seems like a rock composed of some type of silicate. However, I can't make out the texture in most of the images.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

59 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It doesn't seem to have a bony texture, although the shape is interesting. Almost seems like a rock composed of some type of silicate. However, I can't make out the texture in most of the images.

It is a strange texture.

I thought it had an overall 'bony' appearance and the holes in it resembled some Cetacean vertabrae I have seen (like the examples below) so that's why I was thinking bone. I haven't been able to find any with this shape however.

cbone33.jpg

dolphin vert.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the replies! I tried to get some pictures to show the texture better, in case it helps.

Thanks again!

cbone.jpg

cbone23.jpg

If you could retake this one with the kind of lighting you had when handheld, I think I would be able to see the corallites.

cbone2.jpg.bb382f818a3fe56b343cb83e70a6dbfe.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Definitely not typical bone preservation. Only coral I’ve ever found is astrhelia but I haven’t Fossil hunted that long.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Maybe the strange patterns are Beekite, trying to form rings. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think it's similar to this one posted in 2011, which was ID'd as solitary scleractinian coral.

10 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I think it's similar to this one posted in 2011, which was ID'd as solitary scleractinian coral.

That texture looks to me! 

I haven't heard of these at Calvert Cliffs - is this something I should follow-up on (maybe let the Calvert Cliffs Museum know?) or is this a more common specimen I'm just not familiar with?

Can we please see the third view from the top taken again in natural sunlight? That one looks the most promising to me as it looks the most 'coraliferous' to coin a phrase. If you look at the top right hand area of the third image, it looks like there is at least one clear calyx (in the middle of what I presume are 3 calyces.)

12 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I haven't heard of these at Calvert Cliffs - is this something I should follow-up on (maybe let the Calvert Cliffs Museum know?) or is this a more common specimen I'm just not familiar with?

When I saw your fossil I knew I'd seen something similar before in one of my books so I looked it up. I think yours has seen a lot of wear and I cannot ID it past knowing it's a different type of coral than the usual that I've seen. If you have time you could take it to this museum and see what they say. I'm curious to know.

18 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

Can we please see the third view from the top taken again in natural sunlight? That one looks the most promising to me as it looks the most 'coraliferous' to coin a phrase. If you look at the top right hand area of the third image, it looks like there is at least one clear calyx (in the middle of what I presume are 3 calyces.)

Here you go :) 

13 hours ago, Innocentx said:

When I saw your fossil I knew I'd seen something similar before in one of my books so I looked it up. I think yours has seen a lot of wear and I cannot ID it past knowing it's a different type of coral than the usual that I've seen. If you have time you could take it to this museum and see what they say. I'm curious to know.

Thank you for taking the time and looking it up! It's pretty interesting to me!

c9.jpg

c11.jpg

18 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

It's pretty interesting to me!

Me too. I look forward to what local museum has to say.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 12:00 PM, Innocentx said:

Me too. I look forward to what local museum has to say.

@WhodamanHD

I received a response back from Stephen Godfrey at the Calvert Cliffs Museum and he believes it is a bone from the  sunfish, Ranzania (here is another thread on the topic below. 

After searching for Ranzania and Mola Chelonopsis (I had more luck researching the latter) I was able to find some similar examples.

Just wanted to give everyone the update!

-Frank

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

@WhodamanHD

I received a response back from Stephen Godfrey at the Calvert Cliffs Museum and he believes it is a bone from the  sunfish, Ranzania (here is another thread on the topic below. 

After searching for Ranzania and Mola Chelonopsis (I had more luck researching the latter) I was able to find some similar examples.

Just wanted to give everyone the update!

-Frank

Oh! I have heard of their beaks being found, is that what he said it was? Thanks for the update!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

44 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Oh! I have heard of their beaks being found, is that what he said it was? Thanks for the update!

Yes, he said it is from Ranzania. Here is the thread I found (I forgot to include it in my last post) about it.

-Frank

I was thinking more along the lines of a fungia coral, a scleractinian.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=664&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=kcXLW9OGEauCjwT6kLKYDg&q=fungia+coral+fossil&oq=fungia+coral+fossil&gs_l=img.3...204281.204281..204833...0.0..0.92.92.1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.6iH5fj2QmNc

To quote @Al Dente "I find scleractinian corals very difficult to identify."

I think the septa are worn off.

Edited by Innocentx
add