so apparently i have an icthyosaur paddle...

Notidanodon

it has been damaged a bit as it was discoverd in victorian times but is it rare,as i couldnt find any specimens for sale online

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

i didnt know i was just interested as i looked it up and i couldnt find any whole specimens for sale so i assumed it was quite rare

has the same page been posted multiple times? if so sorry my computer or wifi must have lagged whilst uploading

3 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

has the same page been posted multiple times? if so sorry my computer or wifi must have lagged whilst uploading

Don't worry, this is a common forum issue. You can hide the duplicates or ask a staff member to delete them.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 minute ago, Macrophyseter said:

Don't worry, this is a common forum issue. You can hide the duplicates or ask a staff member to delete them.

how do i do that

Just now, will stevenson said:

how do i do that

Go to your duplicates, go to options > hide. The options should be on the bottom of each of your posts.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

15 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

ok thanks so much sorry i only joined today so i dont know much

You're young, you should know everything about computers, I think it's a law or something. :P 

Well darn, I was hoping you could be my "go to guy" for any program problems I encounter. :( lol

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

29 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You're young, you should know everything about computers, I think it's a law or something. :P 

Well darn, I was hoping you could be my "go to guy" for any program problems I encounter. :( lol

(: i do know lots about computers btw i just haven't been on many forums(: lol

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Rare is relative. They aren't rare, but they are uncommon and quite valuable.

Ya um, those just look like a few jumbled stones arranged in a curious pattern. What say you just send that plate my way and I'll send you some really neato loose crinoid stems or something.

You don't want to waste precious shelf space on such a common item. :fingerscrossed:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If these are common someone needs to sign me up for a plane to wherever they are found! Or just send me one:D

I think paddles are diagnostic to genus and even species. However, I wouldn’t know how to ID them.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

29 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

If these are common someone needs to sign me up for a plane to wherever they are found! Or just send me one:D

I think paddles are diagnostic to genus and even species. However, I wouldn’t know how to ID them.

I didn't say common - but more-or-less complete ichthyosaur skeletons are relatively common, compared to many other fossil skeletons. There are people who find them fairly often (not me). The thing is, people who find them tend to keep them, so they don't turn up on the market very often.

• I found this Informative 1

Hello Will, You have an interesting and desirable piece. Here is a link to a Coursera course. I note that it starts today! I took this one previously and enjoyed it, as I was especially interested in the Mosasaur section. You can take it (that is, view all the materials) for free. It is well worth your time, if  your acquisition has sparked an interest in marine reptiles.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/ancient-marine-reptiles

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 24/09/2018 at 12:01 PM, LiamL said:

That's a beautiful paddle, was this gifted to you?

i was given it after my grandparents were given it by the cleaner of the great grandson of a victorian collector who had no relatives..... and the story goes on (:

On 24/09/2018 at 3:26 AM, doushantuo said:

I suggest you visit the miscellaneous libraries that are here and look for works by the likes of Chris McGowan or R.Appleby

example:

Appleby, R.M. (1979). The Affinities of Liassic and Later Ichthyosaurs. Palaeontology, Vol.22, Part 4.

outtake:

yosmphfyqsoloeufd4twrwr3gyesllifernakristleanthc.jpg

thanks for showing me this, i think my fossil is from the liasic period but i cant be sure...