This tooth can be cleaned off more than this, cant it? It looks like there's plenty that is layered on top of the actual tooth that should be able to be removed, but I know it's not always as easy as that. And of course, not just if it CAN be removed, but removed safely? More to the point-safely by an amature?

IMG_7694.PNG

IMG_7695.PNG

Do you have the specimen in hand? It very much depends on the hardness and "stickiness" of the matrix. You could try a pin first on an area to see how easily it comes off. If it doesn't come off easily, then you're likely looking at air abrasion -- something that may be a bit outside the skill set of an amateur when dealing with an important piece without practicing on dispensable pieces first. 

If you don't have the specimen in hand yet, you may want to to tell us where it is from, as some of our members may have a lot of experience with the particular type of matrix involved on the basis of the piece's origin.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

No, I don't have it yet.

It's listed as: Gadoufaoua, Tenere desert, Niger.  Elrhaz form.

Yeah, you're right about that, air abrasion is totally beyond my capabilities:(

A small dremel with #220 abrasive cone app for that hands on experience. Slowly, and start in one small area.

Actually, I would x-ray it first.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

A small dremel with #220 abrasive cone app for that hands on experience. Slowly, and start in one small area.

Actually, I would x-ray it first.

Is that considering for this particular type of matrix, or is that just a generally safe way for cleaning off most fossils? 

I should be able to get an X-ray taken of it. What would I be looking for with that?

10 minutes ago, Still_human said:
14 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

is that just a generally safe way for cleaning 

Unless You are extremely careful and just removing the bulk of the matrix, it sounds like an easy way to destroy the surface of a fossil.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I do not believe you will need a power tool. Grab (carefully) a decent sized sewing needle. Use a small piece of cardboard or hard plastic scrap to fold over the needle's eye end. With tape, build up a "handle" using the folded scrap as a foundation. You are aiming to fashion a padded area with the tape that fits comfortably and securely between your thumb and forefinger. 

From the photo the matrix on your piece appears granular. This is good for removal prospects. Experimentally, gently probe at an obvious edge where matrix meets fossil. Can you pop a small piece off using the needle's tip? Alternately, use the side of the needle to rub and abrade the obscuring matrix. What did that accomplish? Go slow, and work a small area until you know how the fossil/matrix will behave. Oh, and don't stick yourself. I know that seems obvious, but well, I've done it more times than I would care to admit. Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Just use the "poor man's" air abrasive.

Put a half a cup of abrasive medium in your mouth, stick a straw between your lips and blow. :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I do not believe you will need a power tool. Grab (carefully) a decent sized sewing needle. Use a small piece of cardboard or hard plastic scrap to fold over the needle's eye end. With tape, build up a "handle" using the folded scrap as a foundation. You are aiming to fashion a padded area with the tape that fits comfortably and securely between your thumb and forefinger. 

From the photo the matrix on your piece appears granular. This is good for removal prospects. Experimentally, gently probe at an obvious edge where matrix meets fossil. Can you pop a small piece off using the needle's tip? Alternately, use the side of the needle to rub and abrade the obscuring matrix. What did that accomplish? Go slow, and work a small area until you know how the fossil/matrix will behave. Oh, and don't stick yourself. I know that seems obvious, but well, I've done it more times than I would care to admit. Good luck, have fun. 

Lol well, despite your warning, and any amount of my care, I probably will too! 

Very sound sounding advice. I figured I'd start by poking at one of those grains, but for all the experience and knowledge that I have cleaning fossils, that could make it melt, or explode or something crazy! 

:yay-smiley-1:

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Put a half a cup of abrasive medium in your mouth, stick a straw between your lips and blow. :P

You've always got pure gold!!!!!!

Do these parts appear to be matrix/removable non-fossil materials? *Different colors are because I think they're different mineralizations/layers, right?

(the circles may obscure the edges here, but its the 1st pic posted, above)

IMG_7717.PNG

Opinions are obviously from the photo alone. I believe the blue-circled area shows root -- the whitish bone appearing material. I cannot tell about the green designated area. The tooth looks in pretty rough shape (still a great acquisition). As you progress you may (will) uncover damage. If it were mine, I would start slow. Try out the spots indicated below with some gentle needle probing. See how the matrix behaves. Be careful, but don't fret. You can't make an omelet without breakin' some eggs! Most of all have fun, but beware; fossil prep is addictive. 

One other thing occurs to me. Sometimes matrix is artificially added to cover up repairs or other mischief. I don't think that's the case with yours. Just be aware that sometimes matrix (natural or not) is holding a fossil together. Super glue is your ally.

toothprep2.png.4766fb8a75d743a9b6d0ec6fadf17ee8.png

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

13 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Opinions are obviously from the photo alone. I believe the blue-circled area shows root -- the whitish bone appearing material. I cannot tell about the green designated area. The tooth looks in pretty rough shape (still a great acquisition). As you progress you may (will) uncover damage. If it were mine, I would start slow. Try out the spots indicated below with some gentle needle probing. See how the matrix behaves. Be careful, but don't fret. You can't make an omelet without breakin' some eggs! Most of all have fun, but beware; fossil prep is addictive. 

One other thing occurs to me. Sometimes matrix is artificially added to cover up repairs or other mischief. I don't think that's the case with yours. Just be aware that sometimes matrix (natural or not) is holding a fossil together. Super glue is your ally.

toothprep2.png.4766fb8a75d743a9b6d0ec6fadf17ee8.png

Yeah, that's the grainy stuff that made me consider the possibility of me actually being able to clean it up some

and yeah, the blue circles area has the look of the fossil with the micro cracks and stuff, but on this picture it sort of looks like it's a layer above other matrix layers, so I just can't tell. I guess I'll have to wait until I have it in person, but I'm crossing my fingers incan get most of the surface down to the darker true fossil surface

:fingerscrossed:

IMG_7718.thumb.PNG.5c0f6b06df4729ab409cdf30ac66ff4a.PNG

20 hours ago, caldigger said:

Those "wise" words seem to come from experience. :hearty-laugh:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

46 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Those "wise" words seem to come from experience. :hearty-laugh:

I'm guessing those must have been some very long, drawn out, SLOW going periods of experience, eh? :zen:

2 minutes ago, Still_human said:

I'm guessing those must have been some very long, drawn out, SLOW going periods of experience, eh? :zen:

Life in the preparation fast lane is littered with many fossil wrecks. :D

Oh I saw that fossil for sale as well, I feel like a light metal tool would be good enough to prep it because of how delicate it is. That is a Suchomimus tooth right?

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, ynot said:

Unless You are extremely careful and just removing the bulk of the matrix, it sounds like an easy way to destroy the surface of a fossil.

Anyone who preps chants "slow and careful".  I use a small dremel knock off with a #220 to #400 diamond grit flexible tip.  It is a variable speed tool that runs from 30 rpm to 1500 rpm. I use it to shape and polish opals as well as fossils. Opals are not cheap.  Perhaps you could youtube a vid showing how to grind Mexican Fire Agate with hand tools.  It could teach any fossil prepper a thing or two about cleaning fossils outside of a blasting box.  And yes, a good x-ray will show you where the matrix ends and the subject begins.  It will not be for every job but it's what I have in my shop. I also have pins.  I really should be more informative with my primary responses.  I forget that not every fossiker is a lapidary with all the really cool toys. 

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Life in the preparation fast lane is littered with many fossil wrecks. :D

Well, as a "rookie driver" I'll have to take EVERY precaution! No speeding, changing lanes without a signal, and DEFINITELY no drunk driving!

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

The key is to not breathe in through your mouth. Cough, cough!

More great advice! Ruining a fossil would be bad enough, but at least there's coming back from THAT!

21 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Oh I saw that fossil for sale as well, I feel like a light metal tool would be good enough to prep it because of how delicate it is. That is a Suchomimus tooth right?

You mean as opposed to a dremel, or other electronic tools?

yes, a sucho it is

19 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Anyone who preps chants "slow and careful".  I use a small dremel knock off with a #220 to #400 diamond grit flexible tip.  It is a variable speed tool that runs from 30 rpm to 1500 rpm. I use it to shape and polish opals as well as fossils. Opals are not cheap.  Perhaps you could youtube a vid showing how to grind Mexican Fire Agate with hand tools.  It could teach any fossil prepper a thing or two about cleaning fossils outside of a blasting box.  And yes, a good x-ray will show you where the matrix ends and the subject begins.  It will not be for every job but it's what I have in my shop. I also have pins.  I really should be more informative with my primary responses.  I forget that not every fossiker is a lapidary with all the really cool toys. 

lol that's for sure! I DO happen to have a dremel, but nothing "cooler" than that. The air blasters and other air tools look SO cool, and like SO much fun, but after pricing them, that ones a a no-go. I was reading that a lot of people use engravers as cheap substitutes for air....the ones that are like tiny jack hammers, but they're not as good because of the side to side movement instead of the in and out of the compressor, and that you have to be more careful with them because it's not as precise. I figured I'd hold off on that until/unless I ever REALLY needed something like that.

oh yeah, and the Dremel bits you're referring to, are those grinding tips, or polishing tips?

40 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Well, as a "rookie driver" I'll have to take EVERY precaution! No speeding, changing lanes without a signal, and DEFINITELY no drunk driving!

And no texting while prepping. I hear that is a recipe for disaster. :D 

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

You mean as opposed to a dremel, or other electronic tools?

yes, a sucho it is

Well you could give a dremel a try, but for me a thin but strong metal instrument is also fine. I tried that and it hasn’t let me down so far. But it takes time depending on the hardness of the matrix. 

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).