Hash Plate Identification

Steve D.

Howdy all, I cleaned up a small hash plate and found this curious formation.... I believe this is the cephalon portion of a trilobite. If it is, this is the largest T-bizzle I have found! Let me know your thoughts. I'm finding some really packed hash plates from my recent dig. Sorry again for the poor picture. I really need to get a camera. Anyone know how to sneak one of those by the wife? ;p

20180924_140837 (3)_LI.jpg

7 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

So... This is in fact the mouth portion of a trilobite? 

yes, Sam Gon has a very informative website devoted to trilobites.  Here is a link to the part of his site that defines hypostome....you can explore from there :)

https://www.trilobites.info/glossary.htm

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Just now, Raggedy Man said:

Just curious, but how big is that hypostome? It looks pretty big from the images.

On a conference call that I lead. When I wrap this up I'll send another pic with size comparisons. I was kicking myself for not doing that on the initial post! haha

I almost took a vinegar/water solution to it earlier to see if I could remove the matrix around the outer edges but I'm not "fantastic" at that yet.... decided not to. 

4 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

I almost took a vinegar/water solution to it earlier to see if I could remove the matrix around the outer edges but I'm not "fantastic" at that yet.... decided not to. 

I think the whole piece looks pretty cool like it is.  I don't know how you could mount the hypostome where it would look any better...

I assume you collected the hash plate yourself. 

Have you considered where there is one trilo bit there may be whole ones waiting for you in that same area? :D

1 minute ago, Walt said:

I assume you collected the hash plate yourself. 

Have you considered where there is one trilo bit there may be whole ones waiting for you in that same area? :D

Walt, that is all I have thought! But I was short on time and the hill I'm digging in is on a slant. So, the option of finding the remainder of the plate is not likely.... but boy to I wish! 

3 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

Walt, that is all I have thought! But I was short on time and the hill I'm digging in is on a slant. So, the option of finding the remainder of the plate is not likely.... but boy to I wish! 

Oh heavens no.... you can forget about finding the rest of that one. 

I am talking about it being a good place to find other trilobites... unless it was washed in from somewhere else, you should be able to find more.  

This would have once belonged to a really nice size Isotelus. The US penny is 1.9 cm in diameter, so the hypostome is nearly 5.5 cm across. That would indicate it came from an estimated ~30 cm monster, using this topic as a guide. Nice!

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

2 hours ago, Steve D. said:

Among the Cincinnatian formations there are many layers where trilo-bits and pieces are common. There are a number of well known layers that produce whole bugs, either enrolled or prone. The nice thing is that exceptions are the rule and anyone can get lucky pretty much anywhere. Do some research. 

And most of all good luck as you search for better yet,

ERose

@ERose, I have a bunch of these hash plates with all sorts of goodies in them. My knowledge level is extremely limited. I just picked this hobby up two years ago. I get most of my fun digging and cleaning these fossils up. Identification and classifications are something I want desperately get better at. I appreciate all the information I get from all of you!

1 minute ago, Steve D. said:

@ERose, I have a bunch of these hash plates with all sorts of goodies in them. My knowledge level is extremely limited. I just picked this hobby up two years ago. I get most of my fun digging and cleaning these fossils up. Identification and classifications are something I want desperately get better at. I appreciate all the information I get from all of you!

For anyone collecting in the Upper Ordovician Cincinnatian Series or SW Ohio, N Kentucky or SE Indiana (AKA the Cincinnati Arch) here are your two best web resources:

Cincinnati Dry Dredgers, one of the oldest paleo clubs in the USofA: http://www.drydredgers.org

Steve Holland's University of Georgia superb resource website: http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/index.html

6 hours ago, Steve D. said:

I really need to get a camera. Anyone know how to sneak one of those by the wife? ;

Give her enough of those things you are holding in your avatar and she'll never notice...or care for that matter!

Archived