Jump to content

Hash Plate Identification


Steve D.

Recommended Posts

Howdy all, I cleaned up a small hash plate and found this curious formation.... I believe this is the cephalon portion of a trilobite. If it is, this is the largest T-bizzle I have found! Let me know your thoughts. I'm finding some really packed hash plates from my recent dig. Sorry again for the poor picture. I really need to get a camera. Anyone know how to sneak one of those by the wife? ;p

20180924_140837 (3)_LI.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a hypostome, maybe Isotelus (someone will know) - nice find!

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TqB said:

Looks like a hypostome, maybe Isotelus (someone will know) - nice find!

I agree with both ID’s.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, but how big is that hypostome? It looks pretty big from the images.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raggedy Man said:

Just curious, but how big is that hypostome? It looks pretty big from the images.

On a conference call that I lead. When I wrap this up I'll send another pic with size comparisons. I was kicking myself for not doing that on the initial post! haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost took a vinegar/water solution to it earlier to see if I could remove the matrix around the outer edges but I'm not "fantastic" at that yet.... decided not to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

I almost took a vinegar/water solution to it earlier to see if I could remove the matrix around the outer edges but I'm not "fantastic" at that yet.... decided not to. 

I think the whole piece looks pretty cool like it is.  I don't know how you could mount the hypostome where it would look any better...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume you collected the hash plate yourself. 

Have you considered where there is one trilo bit there may be whole ones waiting for you in that same area? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walt said:

I assume you collected the hash plate yourself. 

Have you considered where there is one trilo bit there may be whole ones waiting for you in that same area? :D

Walt, that is all I have thought! But I was short on time and the hill I'm digging in is on a slant. So, the option of finding the remainder of the plate is not likely.... but boy to I wish! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

Walt, that is all I have thought! But I was short on time and the hill I'm digging in is on a slant. So, the option of finding the remainder of the plate is not likely.... but boy to I wish! 

Oh heavens no.... you can forget about finding the rest of that one. 

I am talking about it being a good place to find other trilobites... unless it was washed in from somewhere else, you should be able to find more.  

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This would have once belonged to a really nice size Isotelus. The US penny is 1.9 cm in diameter, so the hypostome is nearly 5.5 cm across. That would indicate it came from an estimated ~30 cm monster, using this topic as a guide. Nice!

 

 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve D. said:

Walt, that is all I have thought! But I was short on time and the hill I'm digging in is on a slant. So, the option of finding the remainder of the plate is not likely.... but boy to I wish! 

Among the Cincinnatian formations there are many layers where trilo-bits and pieces are common. There are a number of well known layers that produce whole bugs, either enrolled or prone. The nice thing is that exceptions are the rule and anyone can get lucky pretty much anywhere. Do some research. 

 

And most of all good luck as you search for better yet,

 

ERose

 

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ERose, I have a bunch of these hash plates with all sorts of goodies in them. My knowledge level is extremely limited. I just picked this hobby up two years ago. I get most of my fun digging and cleaning these fossils up. Identification and classifications are something I want desperately get better at. I appreciate all the information I get from all of you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steve D. said:

@ERose, I have a bunch of these hash plates with all sorts of goodies in them. My knowledge level is extremely limited. I just picked this hobby up two years ago. I get most of my fun digging and cleaning these fossils up. Identification and classifications are something I want desperately get better at. I appreciate all the information I get from all of you!

For anyone collecting in the Upper Ordovician Cincinnatian Series or SW Ohio, N Kentucky or SE Indiana (AKA the Cincinnati Arch) here are your two best web resources:

 

Cincinnati Dry Dredgers, one of the oldest paleo clubs in the USofA: http://www.drydredgers.org

 

Steve Holland's University of Georgia superb resource website: http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/index.html

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve D. said:

I really need to get a camera. Anyone know how to sneak one of those by the wife? ;

Give her enough of those things you are holding in your avatar and she'll never notice...or care for that matter!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...