Need Identification for unknown fossil

keldeo072

image.png.65ec3c15ca2ccf53cc7666846e46ab6b.pngstyolite,  a geologic formation

• I found this Informative 6

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If you found it down here I’d say it may be a fragment of very eroded Inoceramus clam shell, but I  doubt those are found in your area.

I agree it looks like a mineral that is kind of worn down.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

No. It is present on all sides visible.

Ah, now I see! The other pictures didn't download yet.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 9/24/2018 at 6:27 PM, keldeo072 said:

Found in the woods in Fairborn Ohio.

20180917_180643.jpg   20180917_180617.jpg  20180917_180611.jpg   20180917_180627.jpg  

We find lots of calcite chunks that maybat times look a bit like this when exposed for long periods of time. You can find little faults in North Texas over maybe 0.5 to 1.5 inches filled with slabs of calcite.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:34 PM, Herb said:

styolite,  a geologic formation  

image.png.65ec3c15ca2ccf53cc7666846e46ab6b.png

On 9/25/2018 at 12:12 AM, Innocentx said:

@Herb has got this one!!! 

I agree! (Sometimes spelled "stylolite" - both are used though "stylo" (Greek, column or pillar) is presumably the root.)

Tarquin

7 hours ago, Innocentx said:

@Herb has got this one!!! 

I will be another in favor of Herb's ID. I used to collect this type of material thinking "fossil"  until I was on a group hunt in a quarry and someone explained a very long exposure of sylolite to me.

This is not a styolite but rather a vein of a striated mineral that may be calcite. A hardness and acid test is needed. Does it fizz in vinegar? Will a steel knife blade scratch it? It is not a styolite because the striated structure appears to encircle the rock.

Styolites are irregular, but on average, follow a plane. Styolites are usually dark, serrated boundries in limestone where the rock has dissolved, through pressure solution, leaving behind insoluable residues such as clay. See Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylolite

Photo of styolite from Michael C. Rygel found on Wikipedia:

IMG_0590.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I find these around here(Virgilian) in limestone and they are vertically oriented and often circular. They appear to be of the same material as the surrounding rock and I thought they might have some things in common with cone-in-cone structures.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

It is a styolite.They are very common in the Silurian dolomite (dolstone) in Ohio and KY .  The Fairborn  area has mostly Ordovician but there is also a little Silurian nearby. They are often blackish but not always and there are lots of variations. I can get 100 lbs of them within 10 minutes of my house. The dolomite one will also fizz slightly with acid.

22 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

This is not a styolite but rather a vein of a striated mineral that may be calcite. A hardness and acid test is needed. Does it fizz in vinegar? Will a steel knife blade scratch it? It is not a styolite because the striated structure appears to encircle the rock.

Styolites are irregular, but on average, follow a plane. Styolites are usually dark, serrated boundries in limestone where the rock has dissolved, through pressure solution, leaving behind insoluable residues such as clay. See Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylolite

Photo of styolite from Michael C. Rygel found on Wikipedia:

IMG_0590.JPG

earby.

• I found this Informative 1

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

1 hour ago, Herb said:

It is a styolite.They are very common in the Silurian dolomite (dolstone) in Ohio and KY .  The Fairborn  area has mostly Ordovician but there is also a little Silurian nearby. They are often blackish but not always and there are lots of variations. I can get 100 lbs of them within 10 minutes of my house. The dolomite one will also fizz slightly with acid.

earby.

Herb, please educate me. These look different than the styolites that I have seen up til now. I searched and found some that go in many different directions and encircle pieces of rock on all sides. On the striated pieces in the third and fourth photos, are we looking normal to the plane of the styolite?  

IMG_0591.JPG

On the first and fifth photos, are we looking parallel to the plane of the styolites?

IMG_0592.JPG

Thanks,

John

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I went out today to find lower Permian version of Stylolite. There were no good overhead shots but I did find these vertically oriented ones (if that's what we've decided these are).

IMG_4325 (2).JPG

IMG_4336.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

If the weather is good I will try to take some pictures