D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys, 

In a time of two years I collected these gastropod fossils in dolomite erratics of Varena town, South Lithuania. 

There are many Naticopsis, Euomphalus like snails and also Worthenia, Omphalotrochus and Anomphalus are identified. 

The temporal range of the majority of these gastropod genera begins in Devonian and ends in Triassic or even early Jurassic. 

I would think these dolomites are Carboniferous or Permian in age but I would like to be sure which epoch they belong to and what other fossils I can expect to find in the future. :)

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Best Regards

Domas

At first, I will show Naticopsis like snails.  

Naticopsis sp..JPG

Naticopsis sp. (2).JPG

Dear guys,

Good news from yesterday! :D 

I was splitting crystalline stones for building works in a village near Siauliai city (Northern Lithuania) and also found the same kind of dolomites with gastropod fossils.

Yesterday I found euomphalid, Donaldina gastropod (thought to be heterobranchian!) and genus Cinclidonema (Carboniferous- Permian temporal range). 

And I also found one cheekbone of amphibian, judging by shape and place of possible third eye I would think it belongs to Permian dissorophoid. 

Now I made the pictures to show. The first is Cinclidonema gastropod. :) 

Cinclidonema.JPG

And the last is Donaldina heterobranchian. If you need better picture of this one I will make soon. :)

donaldina.JPG

In the erratic with dissorophoid and Cinclidonema gastropod I saw some plant rhizome fossils. Judging by thin and quite complex branches of roots I would say the dolomites should not be very old (e.g. Devonian) because sporophyte plants have primitive and quite small roots as I know. They probably belong to gymnosperm. And I would also like to show you another kind of dolomites- greenish gray and even bluish with Eomphalid and possible small Strobeus gastropods. :) 

pomatiidae 1.jpg

pomatiidae 2.jpg

pomatiidae 3.JPG

pulmonata.JPG

Please vote between two periods- Carboniferous and Permian, and let me know how old these erratics should be, or suggest your version. :)

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Best Regards

Domas

Archived