Do You Know Any Places in Patagonia Where to Go Hunting for Fossils?

marcomarotti

Hi all, are there any sites through Argentinian Patagonia where go catching for fossils? Is it legal in the country? Probably at the airport they will not let me outside with fossils, but it will be a nice experience even if i have to leave them to local authorities or museums :)

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

As far as I know, Act 25473 prohibits this activity unless you are affiliated with a research institution, and even then any removal of fossils is limited to two years to a "transitory institution" after which they must be returned to a public repository (unless there are extenuating circumstances tied to the research that would result in an extension). The process involves applying for a work permit (making clear your research institution affiliation, affiliation with an Argentinian institution, site location, and dates in which fieldwork is to be completed). All finds must then be submitted to the competent agency as they are classed as Cultural Heritage. 

Prior to this Act, there was a bit of confusion over enforcement, and some hodge-podge laws on a provincial basis. Moreover, the illegal export and commercialization of smuggled fossils necessitated more stringent laws to prevent the dispersion (and loss) of scientifically valuable specimens.

For more information, you may wish to reach out to the Asociación Paleontológica Argentina:  http://www.apaleontologica.org.ar/

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer