Is Dolomite powder Toxic ??

DLB

Hey @DLB, if your as tuff an onrey as me, you would put some on your morning cereal for breakfast and a little spoonful in your coffee, but ya gotta be tuff as nails like me.  Ha!!  :)   Just kidding man.   But really, have you noticed that bicarb falls down really fast if your doing your abrading in the open and dolomite hangs in the air.   Not a good thing man.  What you really really need is a box for this stuff.  I happen to have an industrial vacuume hooked up to my abrading box.  No dust of any kind makes it outside my box.  Breathing any dust of any kind is not a good thing.  Be very carefull and be safe.  Do take the precautions and spend the moneys if you have to.  You only live once. 

RB

RB is 100%correct...you do not want cystic fibrosis. So you'll wantto make sure you do not breathe any in.

...I'm back.

Agree with Ron. A blast box is a very good idea. Even a very well-rated dust mask is not the best option because that stuff lingers, gets in your ventilation (if you’re blasting indoors) and is not good to get in your eyes. It will also coat your clothing. Over a long period of time, breathing that stuff in can lead to serious lung problems.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is Dolomite powder Toxic ??

looks like ill be needing some more equipment $$$$$$. i guess i know what im asking santa for xmas this year fun fun fun lol. can i atleat blast with bakeing soda out side with a mask?

California just came out with a mandatory may cause cancer label when it comes to coffee so you never know how bad some things are. And if I put it in my coffee I definitely get cancer cuz that's two things that might cause cancer lol.

17 minutes ago, DLB said:

looks like ill be needing some more equipment $$$$$$. i guess i know what im asking santa for xmas this year fun fun fun lol. can i atleat blast with bakeing soda out side with a mask?

i dont know how much room you have, but it doesnt take much room for a box where you prep already, and all you need is a corner for a vacuum.    Gooooooooooooo DLB  goooooooo!!!  :)

13 minutes ago, DLB said:

California just came out with a mandatory may cause cancer label when it comes to coffee so you never know how bad some things are. And if I put it in my coffee I definitely get cancer cuz that's two things that might cause cancer lol.

Dont get me started on California.  I was born there, grew up there and lived there for most of my life.  The best thing I EVER did was move from there.  I brought my kids with me, they are now older and can see why I left.   The sad thing is, there are some really great fossils to be found all over that state!

RB

15 minutes ago, DLB said:

And if I put it in my coffee I definitely get cancer cuz that's two things that might cause cancer lol.

No, they cancel each other out, so drink up! :)

I would consider dolomite powder to be hazardous, but not toxic. Dolomite could be used as an antacid, in the event you run out of Tums. Just don't breath the fine particles.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Well you should take precautions if you regularly and over a period of years are exposed.

Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2012 Sep;14(9):549-57. Epub 2012 Sep 30.

Respiratory disorders associated with heavy inhalation exposure to dolomite dust.

Author information

PhD, Occupational Health Department, School of Health and Nutrition and Research Center for Health Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Although dolomite is classified as a relatively non-toxic, nuisance dust, little information exists as to its potential to produce respiratory disorders following occupational exposure. The purpose of this study was, therefore, to evaluate the possible effects, if any, of heavy inhalation exposure to this chemical on the prevalence of respiratory symptoms, functional impairments and radiographic abnormalities of the lungs.

METHODS:

The study population consisted of a group of 39 exposed subjects engaged in digging and excavating activities that were in operation for building a local dam, as well as 40 healthy non-exposed employees that served as the referent group. Subjects were interviewed and respiratory symptoms questionnaires, as suggested by the American Thoracic Society (ATS), were completed for them. Thereafter, they underwent chest X-ray and lung function tests. Additionally, using routine gravimetric techniques, personal dust monitoring for airborne inhalable and respirable dust was carried out at different dusty work sites. Finally to determine the chemical composition of the dust, it was analyzed by X-ray fluorescence (XRF) technique.

RESULTS:

XRF revealed that the major component (50.52%) of the dust was calcium magnesium carbonate, dolomite. Additionally, levels of exposure to inhalable and respirable dust were estimated to be 51.7±24.31 and 23.0±18.11mg/m3, respectively. Statistical analysis of the data showed that symptoms such as regular cough, phlegm, wheezing, productive cough and shortness of breath were significantly (p<0.05) more prevalent among exposed workers. Similarly, the ratio of FEV1/FVC in exposed subjects was significantly different from that of non-exposed individuals. In contrast, no significant abnormalities were observed in the chest radiographs of both groups.

CONCLUSIONS:

In conclusion, while these data cast doubt on the notion that dolomite is a harmless chemical, they provide evidence in favour of the proposition that exposure to high atmospheric concentrations of this compound is likely to be associated with respiratory symptoms.

KEYWORDS:

Dolomite dust; Functional impairments of the lungs; Occupational exposure; Respiratory symptoms

PMID:
PMCID:
PMC3482327

Archived