Found on the beach in Ecuador

jettabar99

I have no knowledge of bones or fossils but i found this piece and it find it very interesting. I am hoping someone can shine light onto what it is.

It was found on the beach, Playa de Murcielago in Manta, Ecuador on the Pacific Ocean. I think it is a fish mandible but from there i am lost. The entire thing is stone like. It is quite a bit heavier than bone and of consistent feel throughout except for the varying body textures. The color is quite a vivid salmon on the smoother outside with bend wrinkles you would expect on a living creature. (i sculpt and these wrinkles have been captured beautifully in this piece!)

I know i probably sound pretty stupid with this description but this is not my area of expertise. I was just out on my daily morning dog walk:-)

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

"...just a shell."

Sheesh, people, how about a little respect for shells?

jettabar, your find is a part of the "lip" of a large conch shell.

Don

conch.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Although it is not likely a fossil, collecting sea shells can be quite lovely. Whenever I find myself in the Caribbean, I always take home a few that wash up on shore (provided there is no current occupant, like hermit crabs!). :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Don't disparage the lowly shell!  The state gemstone of Louisiana is the cabochon cut oyster shell. 

Yeah, I know.  They think a little different here.... :doh!:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

I agree with the other. It's a really nice and big shell fragment with tiny bioerosional markings (the little borings).  :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Whenever I find myself in the Caribbean, 

I would like to find myself in the Caribbean.  I might not know how I got there, but it would be nice.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Although it is not likely a fossil, collecting sea shells can be quite lovely. Whenever I find myself in the Caribbean, I always take home a few that wash up on shore (provided there is no current occupant, like hermit crabs!). :) 

I agree and have a great collection of shells that I have collected on my trips to Sanibel Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

What a chance Nimravis !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg