ThePhysicist

Hey y'all!

I've been wanting to go hunting for dinosaur material for a long time now - problem is I'm in  eastern Texas (I also can't travel too far). Most of the stuff around here is marine. I've been doing some research, and I've found the Antlers Formation in southern Oklahoma which has deinonychus and tenontosaurus, among others. 

Where would be the best place to actually go hunt? Do I need to go on private property, by the side of a river, or what? It'd be great if anyone has gone hunting in that formation, I'd love to hear your tips!

My primary goal would be to find deinonychus teeth. The first deinonychus in the antlers formation was found on the grounds of the Howard McLeod Correctional Center in the late 90's. I'd think around that area would be a good place to start.

This is the bulletin (from the Oklahoma geological survey) I found that reports the finding of deinonychus antirrhopus in the antlers formation:

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/pubsscanned/BULLETINS/Bulletin146.pdf

Address of Howard McLeod Correctional Center:

19603 E. Whippoorwill Lane, Atoka, OK 74525

Any other general fossil hunting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

3 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Any other general fossil hunting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Collecting vertebrae fossils on public land is illegal. (There are some exceptions.)

Hunting fossils on private land without land owner's permission is illegal and dangerous (irate farmers).

Good luck with Your endeavor.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

ynot, 

thank you for the clarification! 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff