rapp creek hunting

Rowboater

Finally went back to the creek.  Lots of changes from the rains.  Took my first few hours to find productive spots, which I only worked the last hour.  The mosquitoes were horrific; although there were leopard(?) frogs everywhere, no dent in the mosquito population (must have missed a few spots with bug spray or they liked the flavor).  One big cow shark tooth with a root, some points tipped, and and a second piece, three or four angel shark teeth, which I missed at the beach trips.  Lots of spikes, and little teeth.  Found three small verterbrae, skate teeth, rough stinger, and scute, and several drum teeth (waiting for stuff to dry).

092618.thumb.jpg.3ec2ef241ed71e700fc57469b049fddf.jpg  

• I found this Informative 1

Are you sifting these out or eagle eyeing them in the sand?  I think I would have a hard time spotting Drum fish teeth unless a few inches away.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Are you sifting these out or eagle eyeing them in the sand?  I think I would have a hard time spotting Drum fish teeth unless a few inches away.

Sifting., rinsing with creek water.  Lots of 'competing' gravel and shells.  My first few hours yielded only one to three teeth per bucket; my last spot yielded  five to 12 per bucket.  My eyes are not that good, but experience helps.  For the drum teeth, I pick out any round black 'rocks'; sometimes most are drum teeth, sometimes only 10%.  The first few hours I picked up a lot of what is probably garbage (small and shiny black pieces), it'll end up in my driveway.

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

Glad You had a successful hunt.

Thanks.  It was good getting back into my usual areas but have to do better against the mosquitoes.  One of these days maybe I'll find a perfect cowshark symphyseal tooth with root.  Or better yet, find something more interesting (and more common) to collect. 

46 minutes ago, Rowboater said:

Thanks.  It was good getting back into my usual areas but have to do better against the mosquitoes.  One of these days maybe I'll find a perfect cowshark symphyseal tooth with root.  Or better yet, find something more interesting (and more common) to collect. 

You can always start collecting small shiny black rocks. :P

I'll bet you can have an impressive collection in no time at all.

Dorensigbadges.JPG