Judith River Formation Ankylosaur Tooth

Bone guy

Hello. This little tooth popped up on my radar recently. This tooth is .5 inch in length and it comes from the Judith River Formation. The seller describes it as Euoplocephalus but I'm not sure if that ID is correct. Interestingly I've found that this tooth has a slight resemblance to teeth from Edmontonia, but I have found no information on Edmontonia being described from the Judith River Formation. I know this is likely Ankylosaur indet. because there is still so much Ankylosaur material yet to be described, but is an ID on this tooth possible? Thanks for the help! 

I posted a reference photo of an Edmontonia tooth credited to @Troodon's collection. 

IMG_1236.PNG

IMG_1237.PNG

Zuul crurivastator is among the most complete ankylosaurs in North America and was discovered in the JR fm. that could be the original owner of that tooth. However I'm no expert on ankylosaurian tooth morphology and it could also belong to an unknown species of nodosaur. 

3 hours ago, ynot said:

To help those with poor eyesight You should use 0.5.

I actually did not think of that. Thank you.

2 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Zuul crurivastator is among the most complete ankylosaurs in North America and was discovered in the JR fm. that could be the original owner of that tooth. However I'm no expert on ankylosaurian tooth morphology and it could also belong to an unknown species of nodosaur. 

That would be cool if this was a Zuul tooth. I'll look in to that, but I won't keep my hopes up. Thanks for the help! 

Hmm it’s a strange looking tooth. I’m no means an expert in these teeth and get confused quickly when looking at them :) but will give it my best shot!

Looks like nodosaurid tooth like you said (Edmontonia sp. is a possibility). Zuul is actually an ankylosauridae so I don’t believe this tooth could be Zuul. 

For now, I would leave it as Edmontonia cf. until @Troodon gets back since he has done more research on these teeth than me!

Archived