Fossil Books

jax

What books do you guys use to ID your finds?? Im looking for some more good books to add to the collection. Im looking for some east coast shark teeth books, I have a few in mind. I have all the Texas books you could imagine, probably not all. Any good Echi books out there?

Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophytes Guide by Frank A Kocsis Jr.

Lot of pictures 8 or 10 pages on shark teeth and 8 or so on bony fish

184 pages ISBN 0-9657010-0-x

Fossil Vertebrates- Beach and Bank Collecting for Amateurs by M C Thomas

Lot of pictures. First published in 1968 new edition 1992

72 pages ISBN 1-883167-01-9

Discovering Fossils How to Find and Identify Remains of the Prehistoric Past

by Frank A Garcia and Donald Miller illustrations Jasper Burns

Part Two is about 100 pages of illustrations and ID's

212 pages ISBN 0-8117-2800-5

Here are three that I use and recommend

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Thanks Seldom, I'll look for those.

Any east coasters? or west?

"Fossil Vertebrates- Beach and Bank Collecting for Amateurs" is primarily east coast. The '68 edition was my basic handbook for the cliffs on the Potomac; wore it out...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heres a link that has several good books but check around before you buy.Fossil Vertebrates- Beach and Bank Collecting for Amateurs by M C Thomas can be found at a ebay store for 8.95

http://www.jtssharksteeth.com/booksandstands.htm

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Jax,

Can't help you an vertebrate fossils but for invertebrates I have some recommendations. For a general reference (even if it is out of date it is still a good place to start) a copy of "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker and Fischer is indispensible. You can generally get a used copy from Amazon.com. Next I recommend "Index Fossils of North America", by Shimer and Shrock. To buy a copy is pricey but many public libraries have them. I see you are from Arlington, Tx. You need to acquaint yourself with the Geology Libraries at SMU and TCU. For Echinoids I recommend the Houston Gem and Mineral Soc. publication by Thomas and Rosemary Akers, order from the HGMS. Also the dallas Paleontology Club may have a club library with many pertinent publications. I known that the HGMS has an excellent club library with many fossil reference books.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

When I lived back east we used the Texas Shark teeth book. Most of the species are the same. Also North Carolina, New Jersey, Maryland and Delawares' state geo surveys all have good publications on fossils. Another good book with lots of east coast stuff is Pictorial Guide to Fossils by G. Case. And one more pretty good source of info is The Mososaur which s published by the DVPS.

I am 6 months new to fossils, living in Sothwest Florida -- The local fossil club suggested Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophyte's Guide (Kocsis) recommended above by Seldom. It is outstanding. I found and identified a horse mandible as an exact duplicate on page 122. I found numerous three-toed horse teeth and a Bison tooth that this book identified easily for me. It is a first place to go if you know nothing, like me.

At the same time I found the horse mandible, I also found what seems to be an inner ear bone form a Llama, and a semi strange woolly mammoth tooth, which I will post on the Fossil ID thread.

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here is a site you can download from the Smithsonian books you might find good to have in your collection. I download them to disk

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontributions/sics_volumeBrowse.cfm?key=Smithsonian%20Contributions%20to%20Paleobiology :geek:

Great site, thanks for sharing. Also USGS Publications Warehouse has many of their publications available electronically.