My friend found this, thinks petrified pearl in half shell

Bdb

My friend found this in a creek bottom here in central Iowa. He thinks it might be a petrified pearl inside a half oyester.  Any thoughts?

Maybe the muscle?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would think that pearls already being solid, would fossilize similarly in shape as they would have appeared before fossilization. The aragonite of the pearl, however, would be replaced by some other mineral (such as calcite), but would retain the concentric rings as found in modern day pearls.

Not thinking this is a fossilized pearl, but this is my best guess not knowing the geology of your area very well.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can you take a pick of the other side of this object? That way we can confirm if it is indeed a fossil shell vs concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

15 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Can you take a pick of the other side of this object? That way we can confirm if it is indeed a fossil shell vs concretion.

Good point. I was having some doubts this was a shell, too. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I don’t know if this helps I have a blister pearl found on the Norfolk coast . I can’t say if it is fossilised it is definitely not completely  modern going by the look of the  pearl and the feel of the object . Maybe helps to compare?

63F701B4-CF74-45E0-8A49-0B10955B0DD5.jpeg

BD3E2889-EC08-4E89-ABF6-7286A9244BF3.jpeg

19BDB801-CDB1-4465-8129-6ED1567E5D58.jpeg

I’m sorry, I took those pics with my iPad at his place and left shortly after. I’ll see if I can get more pics the next time I see him. I should have taken more, but was only able to upload 2 without exceeding limits.

Just judging by what I can see, I believe this is a concretion with an interesting nodule growing on it. The depressed area with the nodule was most likely covered at some point, creating a small vug.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I think, it might be an iron oxide concretion.

Take a look here .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

could be a very worn Texigryphea or Gryphea sp. 

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

To be quite honest, I think this is too difficult to solve online, unless you start prepping the object and take sharp macro photos. I'd suggest you take it to a museum and show it to a paleontologist in the know.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm not sure myself but that doesn't look like fossil shell to me.. here is one I recently found from the Cretaceous for comparison (but that one would be from a different time period). I second the idea to show it to a local paleontologist.

pycbest.jpg

• 4 years later...