Holzmaden Terrestrial Animals

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

Are there terrestrial animal fossils in Holzmaden. I was thinking that there might be because there is fossil wood in Holzmaden.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

19 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Are there terrestrial animal fossils in Holzmaden. I was thinking that there might be because there is fossil wood in Holzmaden.

I believe they find archaeopteryx there - and pterosaur.

Whoops,  that's the solnhofen limestones .

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Clever question!

Two genera with three species of pterosaurs and the shin bone of a sauropod (Ohmdenosaurus) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohmdenosaurus

but no other land animals. Also plant material (other than these gagat logs) is exceedingly rare.

• I found this Informative 7

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

Clever question!

Two genera with three species of pterosaurs and the shin bone of a sauropod (Ohmdenosaurus) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohmdenosaurus

but no other land animals. Also plant material (other than these gagat logs) is exceedingly rare.

Thats right! 

Here is a picture of the  shin bone of a sauropod, which is displayed in the "Hauff-Museum" in Holzmaden:

Knochen.thumb.jpg.a672ee4d68df97dd46da0fdc4ddba28d.jpg

And here is a pterosaur bone I found there last year:

2.thumb.JPG.be8dbc05c4c508f4ba7c6b79d7718fe5.JPG

Sorry for the bad pictures :ninja:

• I found this Informative 12

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Which quarry has the most vertebrates?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

11 hours ago, belemniten said:

And here is a pterosaur bone I found there last year:

2.thumb.JPG.be8dbc05c4c508f4ba7c6b79d7718fe5.JPG

Sorry for the bad pictures :ninja:

Oh man! That is an awesome find! Did you post that on here? 

If there were a dino bone I would want to find it would be a pterosaur. 

As a kid I remember my parents had this set of encyclopedias where the inside covers of each volume were phrehistoric scenes of dinos, mammoths or some Carboniferous scene and so on. I spent hours looking at the pics on the inside covers. I later went on to read the whole encyclopedia out of sheer boredom. We didn’t have a TV, computers or video games. So you had to entertain yourself.

Anyway, my favorite creatures were the pterodactyls. That would be in my top 3 most wanted finds. Hum, guess I would need to find out where all they may be found and aim for it.

@JarrodB found a small piece of a pterosaur bone in the North Sulfur River earlier this year here in Texas.

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

If there were a dino bone I would want to find it would be a pterosaur. 

Pterosaurs are not dinosaur Kim.

They are a reptile like mosasaur and plesiosaur.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's always possible to find fossils of terrestrial organisms in a marine deposit.  They tend to be extremely rare as with the case of the sauropod bone.  I have seen leaf fossils from there in "Das Holzmadenbuch (Hauff and Hauff, 1981) which is a guide providing beautiful photos of numerous specimens from there as well as a manual instructing the best methods of fossil preparation specifically for Holzmaden specimens.  Anyone interested in Holzmaden fossils should pick up this book.  The photos are in black-and-white, but since the matrix and bones seem to shade from light gray to dark gray, I don't think the lack of color photography is a problem.  The book is in German but the photos say it all in any language.

There's also a photo of that sauropod bone in the book.

I found this book last year (and it was surprisingly inexpensive - about 12 dollars) after keeping my eyes open for it. I took German in school but am lost without a German-English dictionary. It has beautiful photos of numerous Holzmaden specimens (mostly vertebrates). They are in black-and-white but the matrix and bones seem to grade from light gray to dark gray so it does not appear that color photography would have made a difference. Check it out.