What is this ?

Hatchet

It is an internal mold of a bivalve.  Unfortunately it is usually impossible to identify these with confidence to genus or species as they lack important diagnostic details.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

18 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is an internal mold of a bivalve.  Unfortunately it is usually impossible to identify these with confidence to genus or species as they lack important diagnostic details.

Don

What is internal mold ? Can you explain it to me briefly ?

When the shell is buried the inside gets filled with sediment which later hardens. The shell will often dissolve leaving the internal cast.

The cast of the inside is an internal mold which is called a steinkern.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

images.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

When the shell is buried the inside gets filled with sediment which later hardens. The shell will often dissolve leaving the internal cast.

The cast of the inside is an internal mold which is called a steinkern.

pelecypod steinkern

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

For more clarity, the typical growth lines or ornamentation that may be present on the outside of the original shell will not show up on the inside since the creature would have laid down a new layer of shell material on the inside as it grew, extending it out a little farther with each new layer. This leaves the growth lines but only on the outside. Identification is almost impossible with an internal mold unless there are a very limited number of clams usually found at the site where it was found, then you might be able to tell by the over-all shape or size.

Definition of steinkern. plural -s. : a fossil consisting of a stony mass that entered a hollow natural object (such as a bivalve shell) in the form of mud or sediment, was consolidated, and remained as a cast after dissolution of the mold.  Hope this helps if you are confused with the exact definition of a Steinkern!

Nice bivalve steinkern! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library