Innocentx

I found this in creek below Permian/Carboniferous boundary. I've not seen anything like it before and was wondering if it might be an algae. 

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Looks like a stromatolite. I'll note that some stromatolites from that area actually contain fossil bone; check to see if you can see any in cross section.

OMG just found three of these yesterday look very very similar from some river gravel in the area...would be interested in what it is so will be waiting for responses...been trying to find out all day on my own....hope you get responses

46 minutes ago, jdp said:

Looks like a stromatolite. I'll note that some stromatolites from that area actually contain fossil bone; check to see if you can see any in cross section.

I don't have a rock saw. It seems more like a platy algae but I could be wrong.

Of interest(these guys are good):  http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2012/07/22/woosters-fossils-of-the-week-a-stromatoporoid-stromatolite-combination-upper-silurian-of-saaremaa-island-silurian/

In the ones I've worked with, the bone is obvious without special preparation and sticks out the side of the stromatolite. If bone is present, then you can just dissolve the stromatolite in acid to isolate the bones.

@jdp  Fossil bones are seriously lacking in my area, and besides, I like this the way it is.:)

I've done quite a bit of fieldwork in eastern Kansas and southeast Nebraska. There's actually a ton of vertebrate material, but you have to be interested in Paleozoic fishes and amphibians.

I would call it "rolling biotic aggregation". :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ok. I think I got this figured out. Calcipatera, a calcereous alga, also called a phylloid alga. Possibly Calcipatera cottonwoodensis. Always nice to have a name and some understanding of a thing, so YAY!.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1305852?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Current/2005/sawin/06_comm.html

21 hours ago, jdp said:

I've done quite a bit of fieldwork in eastern Kansas and southeast Nebraska. There's actually a ton of vertebrate material, but you have to be interested in Paleozoic fishes and amphibians.

I'm interested in all of it. What entity are you doing fieldwork for?

Next time you come down to Kansas I invite you to visit the upper Carboniferous/lower Permian exposures of this area, if you're interested. I would love to find vertebrate material.

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

"rolling biotic aggregation"

I expect it did quite a bit of rolling on it's way to where I found it.:)

17 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

just found three of these yesterday

I would like to see them, after you get your new camera.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:05 AM, Innocentx said:

I'm interested in all of it. What entity are you doing fieldwork for?

Next time you come down to Kansas I invite you to visit the upper Carboniferous/lower Permian exposures of this area, if you're interested. I would love to find vertebrate material.

I'm a research paleontologist so it's been in a research capacity, but in association with some of the people up at University of Nebraska. It's been a few years since I was last down there though.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to direct you towards active research localities, as most are small and delicate, but do keep your eyes open, there are definitely bones in the Admire, Council Grove, and Chase. Not sure when I'll be down there next but I'll let you know.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:12 PM, Innocentx said:

I expect it did quite a bit of rolling on it's way to where I found it.:)

I said "rolling biotic aggregation", referring to those nodules which are called in modern times Rhodoliths (algae), Bryoliths (bryozoans), Corallith (corals), Balanuliths (barnacles - Balanus), Vermetuliths (vermetids), because I haven't seen a clear evidence of an attachment zone to the hard substrate, not taking in consideration the possible weathering conditions. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think this end may be the attachment area and yes... very worn.

IMG_4342.JPG

34 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

I think this end may be the attachment area and yes... very worn.

IMG_4342.JPG

That was my thought, also, but the surface looks to have  some spherical terminations. It could be also a broken part of a larger blob with some attachment limbs. Hard to say for sure, but I agree it looks like algal construction, and probably that could be.
I think, I have somewhere a similar one which I kept, but I don't know what really is or where it comes from.
You have a nice specimen, btw! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 9/29/2018 at 10:14 AM, Innocentx said:

I would like to see them, after you get your new camera.

mine are quite smaller than that one an do have bits of things in them...mine measure about an inch or so give or take will try to get pics if I can and start a new post for them..I hope my new camera comes fast.

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

You have a nice specimen, btw!

Thank you!

Archived