Bone in need of some cleaning up

Bone guy

Recently I acquired this 7x3 inch bone from the Kem Kem Beds (seller specifically labeled it as coming from Tegana Formation, but I know this formation is no longer valid). When I received the bone I saw that it was covered in spots of sand, so I found my box of exacto knives and went to work. I spent all last night picking off any sand I could find and I think I got most of it. However, the bone is still quite dirty looking and my exacto knives cannot pick off any of the remaining sand-colored material. 

My first thought was to soak the whole thing in water but I once heard that soaking Moroccan fossils in water can ruin them. What should be my next move? Thanks for any suggestions!

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The thing about soaking Moroccan fossils is that the majority of the time, they use water soluble glue to make their repairs with and the item would fall apart when wetted.  

This piece doesn't appear to have repairs. You can try a wet toothbrush on an inconspicuous spot and test it to see if anything happens.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The thing about soaking Moroccan fossils is that the majority of the time, they use water soluble glue to make their repairs with and the item would fall apart when wetted.  

This piece doesn't appear to have repairs. You can try a wet toothbrush on an inconspicuous spot and test it to see if anything happens.

Good idea, thank you. I've checked over the whole fossil and there are no repairs. I will try a wet toothbrush in an inconspicuous spot in a moment. 

Dry cleaning with a tooth brush and dental pick or pin vice 

DO NOT USE WATER

Putting kem kem fossils will end in disaster and you will watch it crumble and fall apart before your very eyes.

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

Dry cleaning with a tooth brush and dental pick or pin vice 

DO NOT USE WATER

Putting kem kem fossils will end in disaster and you will watch it crumble and fall apart before your very eyes.

Oops! I already cleaned the front side using water before I saw your post :doh!:

Thankfully I only used a small amount of water so the bone is still totally intact. Frankly I don't think the toothbrush cleaning made a difference. I may have to try brushing the bone a second time, with a dry toothbrush ;) 

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Make sure it is an old toothbrush or your wife’s   :D

Noted ;) 

IMG_1240.JPG

Well I didnt say to imerse it. Just to try a small inconspicuous spot to see what it would do. :wacko:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

Well I didnt say to imerse it. Just to try a small inconspicuous spot to see what it would do. :wacko:

The funny thing is I did try an inconspicuous spot and it worked with no visible damage to the bone. So I just kept brushing :D

The bone is incredibly solid, so much so that my pin vise will not scratch the bone (maybe that is a good thing :D

I will continue with the pin vise/dry toothbrush/microscope method and see how it turns out. I guess the moral of the story is DO NOT USE WATER ON KEM KEM FOSSILS haha.

thanks for the help everyone :)