Waldron Shale Collection

Ken K

Wrangellian,  Thanks much and will get more pics.  No, I just sized the pics from my mac on the fly...what size would be the best for the forum here?

Raggedy, wow three days at St.Paul would be a dream come true as well.  Would love to see the bryozoan.  The gastropod piece is going to be a great specimen a double with what looks like a good number of associated brachs..  And I will scold you as well for saying "nothing special"!lol. I have collected extensively in all the major quarries there and every specimen is near and dear...I get just as excited about finding a nice bryozoan as I do a trilobite or crinoid.

• I found this Informative 1

You could double the dimensions and they would be good, for me at least (I can't speak for others). My screen is 20"wide (1080x1920pixels) and your pics display at about 6 3/4"... lots of room for enlarging.  ;)

I'll try this size...

Caryocrinites ornatus from the Rochester Shale I collected a number of years ago.  Prepared by Scott Vergiels.

P5060008.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Wow, those are some pretty fantastic pieces.  Having just started learning the basics of prepping in the last year or two, I can really appreciate the effort that went into each of those.  Great job!  I have never collected the Waldron, Ill have to do some research before my next trip north and see what I can learn (plenty!).  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ClearLake.  Right you are, the prep time and effort has to be experienced to be fully appreciated!  I have been preparing my own collection for many years and love being able to see the potential in a specimen found rough in the field.  Keep in touch...Ken

Geez.. the amount of amazing material you've shown since I last posted in this thread... :faint:

Amazing collection!!! Love the crinoids :) You do some really good collecting and prepping work!

-Christain

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks Christain, I am planning to start a Gallery page soon that will feature selections from my Waldron collection.  Working on a nice multiple crinoid plate right now with 5 E. crassus.

• 2 months later...

Well thanks much Walt, sorry for delay in response.  Here is a specimen I started working on today from the Waldron Shale, the bryozoan; Fenestella acmea, Hall.  What makes this guy special is there are two specimens and both have the holdfasts which is quite rare in the Waldron.  They appear to look like small rootlets and I will get some close up shots once I finish preparing this specimen.

IMG_5116.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/19/2019 at 10:07 PM, Ken K said:

Well thanks much Walt, sorry for delay in response.  Here is a specimen I started working on today from the Waldron Shale, the bryozoan; Fenestella acmea, Hall.  What makes this guy special is there are two specimens and both have the holdfasts which is quite rare in the Waldron.  They appear to look like small rootlets and I will get some close up shots once I finish preparing this specimen.

Very pretty indeed, lovely speciemens. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Ken K said:

Thanks much Tidgy's Dad...

Here is the specimen after preparation...

:drool::envy::faint:

That's incredibly beautiful!

And the brachiopods are wonderfully prepped as well. 

What are they, Homeospira, Stegerhynchus and Parmorthis? :wub: 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Very cool!  :wub: 

Great prep work, as well. 

Thanks for posting this! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very good!...all the brachiopods (there are a couple juveniles so not positive on those) ,other than the one slightly tucked under the bryozoan, are Stegerhynchus neglecta.

The one juvenile may be S. acinus.   The one tucked under is a juvenile Resserella (Parmorthis) waldronensis.

The taxonomy of the Waldron brachiopods is a bit confusing and I'm working on getting the current nomenclature for all the species.  My collection contains all the known species and a few undescribed ones.  

You bet Tim and thanks for the note.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, Ken K said:

Here is a specimen I started working on today from the Waldron Shale, the bryozoan; Fenestella acmea,

3 hours ago, Ken K said:

Here is the specimen after preparation...

Very nice find and wonderful prepp!

You should enter it in the fossil of the month contest....(read the rules first.)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/150-fossil-of-the-month/

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, Ken K said:

Very good!...all the brachiopods (there are a couple juveniles so not positive on those) ,other than the one slightly tucked under the bryozoan, are Stegerhynchus neglecta.

The one juvenile may be S. acinus.   The one tucked under is a juvenile Resserella (Parmorthis) waldronensis.

The taxonomy of the Waldron brachiopods is a bit confusing and I'm working on getting the current nomenclature for all the species.  My collection contains all the known species and a few undescribed ones.  

You bet Time and thanks for the note.

I would love to see more of your collection and the brachiopod taxonomy when it's completed, please. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Appreciate that "ynot"and thanks for the support.

Tidgy's, would be happy to pass along the taxonomic work on the brachiopods when completed.  I'm also planning a book on the Waldron Shale.  My nephew is a paleontologist and a great help on this kind of thing, although he doesn't relish taxonomy he will bend under peer pressure!  Also in the works is a web-site devoted to the Waldron Shale where I can illustrate my collection.  I will continue to post here but the sheer volume of things I would like to feature would make this venue a bit cumbersome (ie, images, videos, store, etc..).

Awesome, the mix of natural composition and preparation work brings them back to ''life''!:dinothumb:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

Thanks and right you are RT about them "coming back to life"...

Working on preparing another nice bryozoan, this one is Fenestella parvulipora, Hall.  Same genus different species than the one previous.  This one also has the hold fast "root" attachment which is, as I mentioned, quite rare in the Waldron specimens at hand.  Had to track down an air leak in my air abrasive machine and let the cloud of abrasive dust settle...turned out to be the canister lid seal.  Removed, cleaned and installed reverse side up and back to work.

Another amazing work!:dinothumb:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."