Real Psittacosaurus Skull?

Alex Pritchard

So this has cropped up on an auction site. My friend is tempted by it, however I believe it to just be a rock. It is claimed to be a Psittacosaur Skull. 
The seller claims that they acquired it off a 'geologist' however to me, it looks like an eroded rock, and lacks any characteristics of being a skull?

I feel like it could potentially mislead uninformed newbies? Pictures aren't fantastic.

I could be totally wrong of course, however can anyone else see if it is a skull or not? 

P1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Alex Pritchard said:

@Raggedy Man I agree! It's scary how willing sellers are to deceive people! 

The great man himself Troodon said don’t blame the sellers if they have misled you  , it is up to you to educate yourself.  Good advice that I have tried to go by. 

Yeah just a rock.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The great man himself Troodon said don’t blame the sellers if they have misled you  , it is up to you to educate yourself.  Good advice that I have tried to go by. 

Yeah just a rock.

Here here dude! Completely agree :)

I'm sorry buddy, but it's definitely just a rock. And this rock is completely different from what really is an authentic Psittacosaurus Skull.

image.thumb.png.3f5d91e557310050bf25bc943d04bf90.png

Congratulations on your initiative not to be seduced by a good offer, but rather to come here to educate yourself. :dinothumb:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I'm sorry buddy, but it's definitely just a rock. And this rock is completely different from what really is an authentic Psittacosaurus Skull.

image.thumb.png.3f5d91e557310050bf25bc943d04bf90.png

Congratulations on your initiative not to be seduced by a good offer, but rather to come here to educate yourself. :dinothumb:

Thank you buddy! My friend was convinced, and I thought it was just a rock, we had a good friendly debate about it! I'm thankful that this forum is here to help! :) maybe one day he will get his hands on one! It's just a shame that some sellers are misinformed! :)

I messaged the seller about it and they ignored me. I’ve been seeing more and more of these rocks being sold as dinosaur skulls.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Archived