North Sulfur River Pleistocene vertebra? ID

KimTexan

I took a trip out to the North Sulfur River today. These bones were one of my finds from an avalanche that had happened. I believe they are Pleistocene in age. They are not heavily mineralized like the Cretaceous bones found in the river. They are at least partially mineralized though.

I have never found and Pleistocene bones.

This is the full length of the bone. One end is flatish and the other convex.

This is a view from the side. I believe it may be a vertebra. The back side is broken off where spinous process would attach.

Side view.

9FE2E485-8260-48A4-95BD-F8D6703B2D3C.thumb.jpeg.465ef9a81b4e715ab9fda799f011fbb1.jpeg

Convex End view

93B54561-6C9B-4E8F-A5F6-4398FB74E1F9.thumb.jpeg.cb2f8bbe6b1d903e5ceebf9b20347f45.jpeg

This is another bone found at same spot a few feet away.

I think it is a sacral piece.

27011865-AA02-4CED-8FDB-737B7E9028BC.thumb.jpeg.0ab90ba9b354341b4daa7ded078f66c3.jpeg

I have a couple more fragments too, but they do t seen diagnostic.

Can anyone tell me what they are from?

• I found this Informative 1

This is the other end. It does not look broken. It is flat to slightly convex.

924FDD33-5B21-40D6-9B0D-D99677D01EF0.thumb.jpeg.c935e06f83a39019dfbf33ac4a5ae8f3.jpeg

This is the other side C2F997F0-F6D8-41FC-9D3E-9BAE6FF91730.thumb.jpeg.b4169e5a1b83ecd2e2bbb5c267168038.jpeg

These are the 4 pieces I found.

A3735D78-CE36-4288-B4B7-8ED8D487099C.thumb.jpeg.8956cff5a15a48acf735e3338922cb3f.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Just checked my modern moose vert.. Epiphysis there too.

I think you are right.

Does your moose vert have that pattern on the ends?

Someone told me the pattern is found in marine mammals, but I don’t know if it is found in other animals.

To my knowledge the area was a terrestrial Pleistocene environment. Mammoth and horse bones have been found in the area.

I don’t know my horse anatomy well, but I am pretty sure this is not horse. The bones are too small.

23 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Interesting bones. I have found a small bit of Pleistocene enamel at the NSR but that is so far it for me. 

@Fruitbat and @Uncle Siphuncle are pretty knowledgeable on the Pleistocene. Any ideas? 

I thought about tagging them. I have not see Joe on here in a while. Maybe I’m text him.

I did text Joe Gallo. He did not respond. He has always done so before quite quickly. He has not been on TFF for a few weeks. I hope he is OK. He does have health problems. So I hope that is not what is keeping him from responding. 

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I did text Joe Gallo. He did not respond. He has always done so before quite quickly. He has not been on TFF for a few weeks. I hope he is OK. He does have health problems. So I hope that is not what is keeping him from responding. 

Odd. I hope he is well. Troodon has also not logged on to TFF for almost a month now, strangely. 

32 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Odd. I hope he is well. Troodon has also not logged on to TFF for almost a month now, strangely. 

So I have noticed.

6 hours ago, BobWill said:

Does anyone know if Richard White is still helping us here? He would know.

He is not; but I know he can be reached on facebook.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

He is not; but I know he can be reached on facebook.

Thanks. He responded on the facebook tff but she only posted one bone.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:16 AM, Heteromorph said:

Interesting bones. I have found a small bit of Pleistocene enamel at the NSR but that is so far it for me. 

@Fruitbat and @Uncle Siphuncle are pretty knowledgeable on the Pleistocene. Any ideas? 

Sorry, but based on preservation/completeness, I don't have anything to add beyond what the other guys above have said already, same goes for Rich White's response on FB.  My observation is that despite a handful of exceptions with obvious unique features, even with perfect preservation, Pleistocene vertebrae ID is very problematic, even for the experts.  I've asked similar questions before, with the response being "compare with positively identified, complete skeletons of all genera present at that time of similar size."  Not easily accomplished for the casual collector.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow. This is some nice bones. I sure hope one of these days I can make it up that way. Not exactly around the corner, but maybe next year.

Joe