gigantoraptor

Hello all,

Like if told in a post last year, I have to make an essay for school by the end of the year. My subject is 'the paleodiversity of the Kem Kem beds' (but in dutch ofcourse).

Now I have a few questions where I can't find an answer on. There might follow more question throughout the year.

- Is there any Bahariasaurus species officially recorded at the Kem Kem Beds? I didn't find any paper on them from the Kem Kem so I assume they are only use commercially. Only described in the Bahariya formation in Egypt I guess?

- Does anyone know what a Spinosaurus aegyptiacus premax tooth looks like?

- I made a species list with all the species I found from the Ifezouane fm. and Aoufous fm. (I don't work on the Akrabou fm.). Does it looks complete or do you know any gaps?  Or are there any names that are not longer used?

Dinosauria:

-          Deltadromeus agilis

-          Rebbachisaurus garasbae

-          Carcharodontosaurus saharicus

-          Sauroniops pachytholus

-          Spinosaurus aegyptiacus

-          Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis

-          Dromaeosauridae indet.

-          Titanosauridae indet.

-          Abelisauridae indet.

Crocodyliformes:

-          Aegisuchus witmeri

-          Araripesuchus rattoides

-          Elosuchus cherifiensis

-          Hamadasuchus rebouli

-          Kemkemia auditorei

-          Laganosuchus maghrebensis

-          Lavocatchampsa sigogneaurusselae

Testudines:

-          Dirqadim schaefferi

-          Galianemys emringeri

-          Galianemys whitei

-          Hadadachelys escuilliei

-          Araripemys sp.

Pisces:

-          Neoceratodus africanus

-          Ceratodus humei

-          Onchoprisits numidus

-          Dentilepisosteus kemkemensis

-          Distobatus nutiae

-          Calamopleurus africanus

-          Obaichthys africanus

-          Stromerichthys aethiopicus

-          Oniichthys falipoui

-          Aidachar pankowskii

-          cf. Bawitius sp.

-          Hybodontidae indet.

-          Mawsonia lavocati

-          Asteracanthus aegyptiacus

-          Tribodus sp.

-          Lissodus sp.

-          Serratolamna amonensis

-          Cretoxyrhindidae indet.

-          Marckgrafia lybica

-          Arganodus tiguidiensis

-          Lepidotus pankowskii

-          Concavotectum moroccensis

-          cf. Axelrodichthys

-          Bartschichthys sp.

-          Sudania sp.

-          Erfoudichthys rosae

-          Palaeonotopterus greenwoodi

Pterosauria:

-          Alanqa saharica

-          Xericeps curvirostris

-          Siroccopteryx moroccensis

-          Tapejaridae indet.

-          Ornithocheiridae indet.

-          Pteranodontidae indet.

-          Azhdarchidae indet.

-          Dsungaripteroidea indet.

Other:

-          Oumtkoutia anae

-          Kababisha sp.

Thanks already. 

Thijs

• I found this Informative 1

Based on a single footprint it seems there's also an Ornithopod in the Kem Kem beds. Though I think it might have been in the overlying Akrabou fm. But I can't remember.

And some of the unnamed Pterosaurs, I'm not sure those are confirmed to definitely be there. Officially dromaeosaurs haven't been confirmed either, but those are definitely there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

There is this Kem Kem chart on DeviantArt from Megalotitan which might be helpful, though can't confirm if it is entirely correct.

https://www.deviantart.com/megalotitan/art/Kem-Kem-chart-738737965

As with the undescribed Pterosaurs, currently only three species are known, but we do have evidence of at least a couple more types, but i would suggest reading this post since it has good understanding of what we know about Kem Kem Pterosaurs.

https://zhejiangopterus.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/pterosaurs-of-the-kem-kem-beds/

I might be wrong in saying this, but i have heard there were possibly two undescribed Abelisaur genus from the Kem Kem - one a large Abelisaur and the other being a small to mid size Abelisaur (possibly Rugops or a close relative).

18 hours ago, talon22 said:

There is this Kem Kem chart on DeviantArt from Megalotitan which might be helpful, though can't confirm if it is entirely correct.

https://www.deviantart.com/megalotitan/art/Kem-Kem-chart-738737965

As with the undescribed Pterosaurs, currently only three species are known, but we do have evidence of at least a couple more types, but i would suggest reading this post since it has good understanding of what we know about Kem Kem Pterosaurs.

https://zhejiangopterus.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/pterosaurs-of-the-kem-kem-beds/

I might be wrong in saying this, but i have heard there were possibly two undescribed Abelisaur genus from the Kem Kem - one a large Abelisaur and the other being a small to mid size Abelisaur (possibly Rugops or a close relative).

Thank you, there were indeed some on that list I didn't had yet. I indeed heard there might be two Abelisaurs present in the Kem Kem. 

18 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Based on a single footprint it seems there's also an Ornithopod in the Kem Kem beds. Though I think it might have been in the overlying Akrabou fm. But I can't remember.

And some of the unnamed Pterosaurs, I'm not sure those are confirmed to definitely be there. Officially dromaeosaurs haven't been confirmed either, but those are definitely there.

From most of those Pterosaurs there are isolated finds recorded, but indeed not confirmed. A lot like Dromaeosaurs.

I didn't heard from the foodprint yet.  I will look what I can find.

New question:

Is S. brevicollis the same as Spinosaurus maroccanus? 

Spinosaurus maroccanus is indeed a junior synonym of Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and thus invalid.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 10 months later...

Just wondering Are Kem Kem abelisaur teeth rare

43 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Not really compared to some other dinosaurs. Most dinosaur teeth from the Kem Kem beds are found in massive quantities and thus not very rare. Price depends on size and quality ofcourse:)

2 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

@dinosaur man Kem Kem fossils are a great way to start a collection as they can be very affordable. That’s how I started my teeth collection. $10-$20 can buy small spinosaurus, abelisaurid and mosasaur teeth for example but they often have repairs. Sometimes the ‘teeth’ are made from two or more teeth. We call these Frankenteeth. If unsure if anything has been tampered with post in the ‘is it real’ area of the forum. Do not include any seller ID though, it’s against forum rules. Outside of a Kem Kem you can find small ceratopsian teeth (triceratops etc.) 

Large and/or high quality bones and teeth can command a high price though!

Yeah for dinosaur fossils all I have is bone fragments from Wyoming  and utah and dinosaur coperlite from Utah also wasson bluff footprints and tyrannosaur, Kem Kem abelisaur and spinosaurus tooth it’s not much and that is all the dinosaur material I have there small fossils but there a starter so I can improve my Mesozoic part of my collection 

My comments are focused on these :

Dromaeosauridae indet

Although we suspect that there are Dromaeosaurids in the KK we have no scientific evidence to support saying they exist.  The only technical paper that has been published identifies isolated teeth as Dromaeosaurid like.  

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus

Although most paleontologists agree that Sigilmassasaurus is valid in the KK most recent publications identify a second Spinosaurus as Spinosaurus sp. not S. aegyptiacus.  

Abelisauridae indet

The isolated teeth that have been found suggest that both a large and small bodied Abelsaurid exist in this fauna. 

• I found this Informative 2