Florida Pleistocene Bone...possible Rib Fragment?

Bronzviking

Hi, I found this bone on a SW Florida Beach. I know these worn tumbled bones are hard to ID but maybe it has some characteristics that might help like the curve. Since it's curved I thought possible rib bone? Any ideas? Thanks TFF!

DSC07791.JPG

DSC07792.JPG

DSC07795.JPG

DSC07797.JPG

It is certainly possible for this to be a partial rib bone. But with the condition of it one really can't say with 100 percent certainty. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

Another close-up of porous cellular material on the flat surface of the second pic.

This shows internal structure - so the "surface" has worn off.

This piece of bone is beyond ID.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

This shows internal structure - so the "surface" has worn off.

This piece of bone is beyond ID.

Internal structure meaning the inside of the bone has fossilized? You can't ID but does it remind you of something?

I understand it's difficult to ID bone if worn and fragmented, but there is no challenge if it looks like a text book picture. Is there anyway to ID a bone by it's texture, shape, color and/or size?

Internal structure meaning the inside of the bone has fossilized? You can't ID but does it remind you of something?

Looks that way. :D

Yes, a bone chip.:rofl:

Is there anyway to ID a bone by it's texture, shape, color and/or size?

Very few animals have a unique bone structure. Color of fossils is dependant on minerals present, not what animal it came from.

If You have a bone 15 inches long it is pretty safe to say it did not come from a mouse.

So I guess the answer to Your question is sometimes, no, somewhat - but that would all be speculation.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks that way. :D

Yes, a bone chip.:rofl:

Very few animals have a unique bone structure. Color of fossils is dependant on minerals present, not what animal it came from.

If You have a bone 15 inches long it is pretty safe to say it did not come from a mouse.

So I guess the answer to Your question is sometimes, no, somewhat - but that would all be speculation.

Looks like I set myself up for that one...a bone chip. Compared to the other ones I found that look like stones I thought this one was interesting. I read that the shark teeth colors were caused by the mineral of the sediment they laid in. So since you ruled out mouse bone, I guess I could have a mammoth, mastodon or saber tooth bone! Lol :rofl:

• I found this Informative 1