Possibly the most complete Listracanthus found

fossilized6s

I'm happy to announce i possibly found the most complete Listracanthus to date. And we may finally get a proper ID for this strange creature. I thought this was regurgitation, but while prepping i believe i ran into cartilage. So i will stop prepping and give this to a professional, or at least let someone with more experience look at this. 

Unfortunately the rest is in a giant wall of black shale that i won't be able to get back to until next Spring/Summer. 

The denticles are up to 6mm thick and associated with smaller denticles. I will get more pictures under a scope when i get a chance.

God willing i will recover the rest of this creature in 2019. 

Happy hunting!

20180930_185448_1538352409383.thumb.jpg.0c4734c468317b1d0fd53f920df2b2c9.jpg

20180930_185004_1538352619750.thumb.jpg.f4b22acd8e09b033f0c88a179bc82222.jpg

Possible cartilage 

20180930_190047_1538352365138.thumb.jpg.c0c068a13d306ee3741e91f43ecb5a5a.jpg

• I found this Informative 15
  • Enjoyed 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That's a great specimen! Good luck on the prep! :popcorn:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Well.... that explains why Listracanthus elements tend to be one of the more common fossils in black shales.

Awesome specimen, by the way.

Context is critical.

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent find Charlie, congrats :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

An amazing find, Charlie. 

Congratulations. 

Hoping you can get the rest of it. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool, Charlie!

Sounds like this could be a scientifically important specimen. Have you found anybody in your area who specializes in these Carboniferous chondrichthyans? Could be a paper in this. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent find! :dinothumb: @Carl will be interested in this, and he can put you in touch with Dr. Maisey (if I recall the name correctly), who is an expert on Paleozoic sharks, if you want to go that route.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Definitely and amazing specimen, as far as I can see. I just sent this one to Dr. Maisey for his opinion. Stand by.

• I found this Informative 3

Oh hell yes. This animal's been a mystery for a long time. There are a few associated scrappy pieces of this thing from Bear Gulch but nothing with any clear anatomy. Thank you for ensuring this ends up being studied!

Thanks everyone. I just really hope i can find more. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Make sure you really know where the rest of that specimen is. If possible, I'd go back and take photos of the area so you can find it again exactly in the spring when you have the time and weather permits more digging. It would be awful to misplace the rest of that cool specimen.

Looking forward to hearing more about this over time. I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop as much as possible.

Cheers.

-Ken

I know exactly where it is, just not sure what layer it fell from. I'll have to bring a ladder. Lol

~Charlie~

Sweet! I've got a good feeling that this could be the start of a really cool fossil story. Just like the Game of Thrones, we'll have to wait till next year to hear more. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks everyone. Spring can't come soon enough. Lol

~Charlie~

Very neat fossil! This is really wonderful!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile