Hillside trek

caldigger

The temperatures finally behaved today and dipped into the 80's. I just had to take advantage of that since it has been triple digits all Summer up until now.

I quickly threw my backpack and shovel into the car and away I went.

The morning started out very slow. It takes a few hours of digging and moving overburden just to clear a space to begin some actual hunting.

I had been finding real small teeth for about the first two hours of digging.

Then it happened!

I loosened a chunk of matrix and this just fell into my hand.

I have been digging in Bakersfield for a good 5 years and had never even found a trace of Megalodon tooth, not even a sliver!

Today was the day. Not only that, but about 30 minutes later I found another partial broken tooth. Two rarities within an hour.

Ya, I know you East coast guys are saying

"big whoop". Well Megs don't come round these parts too often and certainly don't show themselves to me.

It isn't the prettiest, but it is a Bakersfield first for me. I'm going to guess and say it's between the 4.5" - 5" range.

20180930_142509.jpg

Thanks for sharing your find and excitement and congrats to this spectacular find!

Would you mind posting some field photos or posting a link to the general area? I am always interested what the hunting grounds of others look like.

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Fantastic Doren and a big tooth as well as from a rare location for Megs. Very cool additions to your Bakersfield collection . Looking forward to seeing them prepped . :wub: :meg:

Awesome, congrats on the finds! Better than all the megs this east coast guy has found!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congratulations Doren! Glad that you finally found a couple megs!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hmmmmm doesn't resemble the pictures in wiki.....

Image result for shark tooth meme

Congratulations!  Very impressive find!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Excellent find, Doren.  :envy:
Congratulations! 

Persistence pays off!  

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Oh my gosh.....I can't let this opportunity go by!

Ah hem, @caldigger, I think those are worthless pieces of chert and you should send them to me so you don't have to store them!  :rofl:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Where is the picture?:headscratch:

No picture = it did not happen!:P

OK Buckaroo,  Here ya go!

20181001_195124.jpg

Unfortunately, the section that was buried in matrix concealed a missing section. :(

But I am still happy to have found my first STH Meg.  This just means there is a higher quality whole one waiting for my discovery.  However, at this rate, it might be found while they are digging my grave!

20181001_200243.jpg

20181001_200306.jpg

Don´t be sad, nothing is perfect. But your specimen is nearly so: your first one; rare for the locality; big; very attractive color; serrations still there; matrix specimen - have I missed something? :)

Again: Congrats to this awesome find!
Franz Bernhard

Archived