Afternoon hunt in Alabama

Mtskinner

I was able to sneak away for an afternoon hunt yesterday and wound up having an awesome day. I found well over a hundred teeth but the best find of the day for me was this small hybodus fin spine. It’s only 1-7/16” long and 3/8” wide but what it lacks in size it makes up for in character! 

A35E72C4-8EF5-4A71-91EC-81215ACD8F81.jpeg

3A38B8EB-BA9C-46BE-B6A2-496CEFD0AA19.jpeg

028076C3-6405-423B-9C24-3DCB2CCC8D3E.jpeg

3F074F38-A4A7-45DD-BB63-C59640290B60.jpeg

Great find!  :wub: 

And in such excellent condition!

Congratulations! Would have been a trip maker for me!

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Beautifully preserved!  Congratulations! :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Due to my lack of knowledge, I looked up hybodus fin spine and have to say you own the most colorful, decorative spine that I could see. NICE find.  It still qualifies for Fossil of the month, worth the entry!!

Mike

18 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Due to my lack of knowledge, I looked up hybodus fin spine and have to say you own the most colorful, decorative spine that I could see. NICE find.  It still qualifies for Fossil of the month, worth the entry!!

Mike

Thank you sir, it’s definitely a nice addition. Sadly I missed the midnight cut off for the find of the month last night! I guess I used all my luck finding it lol

28 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great find!  :wub: 

And in such excellent condition!

Congratulations! Would have been a trip maker for me!

21 minutes ago, Walt said:

Beautifully preserved!  Congratulations! :D

20 minutes ago, jdp said:

Oh, that's beautiful!

Thank you! 

32 minutes ago, Mtskinner said:

Sadly I missed the midnight cut off for the find of the month last night! I guess I used all my luck finding it lol

@digit, is he too late for fossil of the month??

6 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@digit, is he too late for fossil of the month??

Yes, it is.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sadly, this missed getting into the FOTM competition (now underway) for September as entries closed at midnight last night (and Terence didn't make it back home till this morning. We have our rules and follow them so this one missed the deadline for September (and being found in September is not eligible for entry in the October contest). Despite not being able to make it to the FOTM contest, the photos of it here will allow its beauty and rarity to be enjoyed by those who see it on this topic. If the taxonomic and fossil formation information can be gathered, I think it would make an excellent addition to our Collections database or, it not, it should at least be featured in a gallery so that more eyes have a chance to see it.

Really nice (enviable) find--though it will not be in FOTM competition, it is definitely a trip-maker and will find a special place I'm sure in your collection. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

4 minutes ago, jpc said:

beautiful.  What is the age of this little guy?  

Upper cretaceous - Campanian

1 minute ago, Mtskinner said:

Here’s a picture of what I found with it...a little bit of everything!

Wow!  That looks great!  Quite the haul. :dinothumb::meg:

Nice dentist office! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

17 minutes ago, Mtskinner said:

Heres a pic of a few xiphactinus, ischyrhiza, and a piece of fossilized cartilage. 

Was this in the southern part of the state?

1 hour ago, Mtskinner said:

Here’s a picture of what I found with it...a little bit of everything!

AE9056E5-5B3B-47AA-A834-558E2D3254B0.jpeg

Wow is all I can say , i have not even so much as held a fossil in my hand and you guy can go out looking for them, super cool !!  We apparently not allowed to collect fossils in S.A :( will see if Its even possible to get a permit , no harm in trying  .  

I am honestly envious , I love hiking and it would have made it extra fun if I could find a fossil .  If it's wasnt for hurricanes , floods , earthquakes and tornados is love to move to the USA ... just for fossil hunts lol . 

Once again so cool , I just can not get over this pics ! 

Archived