Petrified Human Part?

Tyler Matters

I found what seems to be a fossilized human body part, not sure though. It seems to be something, but not quite sure what. Do you think it's just rock? It is rock, but do you think it's a fossilized human part? A museum I sent a picture to said it was just a rock, but I don't know if they would really want to tell me.

IMG_20170404_143901.jpg

IMG_20170404_143823.jpg

IMG_20170404_143816.jpg

IMG_20170404_143806.jpg

yes, it is just a rock.  And no, not fossilized human part.

Soft tissue would likely not survive long enough to fossilize.  

It looks like a concretion that formed around something....but what that something is I don't know.

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Agreed. Rock. A museum would not be in the practice of lying or withholding scientific information.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Tyler Matters

Google "baculum"

:doh!:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

not any parts I have ever seen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 hours ago, Walt said:

It looks like a concretion that formed around something

The end in the third picture makes me wonder if that something could be iron. Is it attracted by a magnet ?

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The end in the third picture makes me wonder if that something could be iron. Is it attracted by a magnet ?

Or lead, if not magnetic.  Tyler, can you scratch it or scrape a bit off with a knife?  (The center part....)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

I believe there is an oxidation state of iron that is non magnetic, but it could also be an iron rich rock.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Petrified Human Part?
30 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I believe there is an oxidation state of iron that is non magnetic, but it could also be an iron rich rock.

Yes, high oxidation or very high temperature treatment can lead to demagnetization.

I agree with the others. It has ironstone look, with a thin outer layer and a solid iron-rich core. I wonder if, somehow, can't be a siderite nodule?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Where did you find this? Looks like a Native American pestle or tool. It's been worked. Cool find and not just a rock. 

23 minutes ago, Drufeus said:

Where did you find this? Looks like a Native American pestle or tool. It's been worked. Cool find and not just a rock. 

I disagree. I see no evidence of human alteration and it is not shaped right for any tool I have seen.

It does have a suggestive shape, but I agree with a naturally eroded rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

46 minutes ago, Drufeus said:

What evidence do you see to suggest this is an artifact?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

16 hours ago, JohnJ said:

What evidence do you see to suggest this is an artifact?

General shape looks right from what I've found in Great Lakes region. Why I ask location.  Worn curved bottom suggests grinding. Then again, could just be a rock. 

7 minutes ago, Drufeus said:

General shape looks right from what I've found in Great Lakes region. Why I ask location.  Worn curved bottom suggests grinding. Then again, could just be a rock. 

Lots of rounded rocks are shaped by non-human processes.  From what I can see, these photos do not show any definitive grinding striations or usage wear to indicate any type of artifact.  

41 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Lots of rounded rocks are shaped by non-human processes.  From what I can see, these photos do not show any definitive grinding striations or usage wear to indicate any type of artifact.  

Most likely this. For original poster. If really curious, ask a local archeologist or geolpgist if available. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can see what you mean about the pestle. I'm determined to find one like it. I have a the bowl like rock part, not sure if it's Native American. Looks like some online.

Here are some other pieces. I have a mini bowl part too. I just don't have everything here. I don't have a picture of the bigger bowl.

IMG_20181022_232744.jpg

Many online artifact photos are not definitive enough to show the detail needed to identify an artifact.  Additionally, the context in which a find was made can also be significant in an identification.  In other words, just because you find something that looks a bit like other "online artifacts", doesn't necessarily mean it is one.  Sometimes, the only way that determination can be confirmed is a "hands on" analysis.

The one on the left in the second photo appears to be concretion or a nodule. These can be common in some places, and the cavity left when they weather away would make a useful shape. I can imagine them being used by early human inhabitants , but one would need to confirm a distinctive wear pattern to say for sure. 

Archived