Help with Oyster shell Identification

Joe Salande

Greetings Guys!

I had a question relative to this Oyster shell.  It was found on the bank of the Mississippi river, out of New Orleans. Being from Louisiana, I "sho nuff" know an oyster shell when I see one.

The curiosity of this one is where it was found. No trash pile, no oyster bed, just simply on the sand on the river bank where the water level is has gone down.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be a oyster fossil. At this point in the river, it is 100% fresh water, whereas oysters like salt, or brackish water.

Any thoughts from you guys, gals, would be greatly appreciated.

JoeIMG_8424.JPG.60b10a64f046965d613faabeb213b99f.JPGIMG_8422.JPG.a1ca2d58135626758a170c8f41e2a566.JPGIMG_8426.JPG.026b5e889d08bfa2529a8be94b33dde2.JPG

Oysters have been a popular food for some time and I suspect were often served on river boats (paddle wheel and other people transporters).

May also be from an older deposit or brought in by a storm.

There is really no way to know short of a carbon 14 test.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with Tony. It's an oyster fragment, so marine. It's transported material, by nature or man.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks you guys.

Seemed like an odd fine, that what you said could readily be true

I grew up right by the river and was even a deck hand in my youth, so I know it's amazing the things that end up there.

I walked it a few times and really am amazed I don't find anything of a relic nature or fossilized. so I guess it was hopeful thinking.

thanks

Joe

I found an oyster shell out in the Flint Hills in a creek. It still had a bit of soft muscle.  All I could figure out was rich people on some trip, eating then tossing them out as they drove along.:shrug:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I know what you mean Innocentx. I wish people weren't so funky. 

I try to pick up some litter when I come across it, but some places have more litter then rocks.

Joe

Archived