Sea Shell identification--Could this be a fossilized sea shell?

Joe Salande

I had a question relative to this sea shell.  It was found on the bank of the Mississippi river, out of New Orleans. 

The curiosity of this one is where it was found. just simply on the sand on the river bank where the water level is has gone down.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be a sea shell fossil. At this location of the river, it is 100% fresh water, whereas this looks like salt water sea shell.

Any thoughts from yawl would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

FullSizeRender.jpg.832a809f7be5317ac372a84f9e0ccf93.jpg5bb27393dc975_FullSizeRender-16copy3.jpg.563a0d28620e1fb00ecb3e852cc24295.jpg5bb27394bf79d_FullSizeRender-16copy2.jpg.cbaef6de595656116fa12ea2945ea54e.jpg5bb27394bf79d_FullSizeRender-16copy2.jpg.cbaef6de595656116fa12ea2945ea54e.jpg

Any thoughts from you guys, gals, would be greatly appreciated.

It is the shell of Strombus alatus aka the Florida Fighting Conch which is found throughout the Gulf of Mexico.  I doubt it is a fossil (pre-Holocene) because of color and shine.  It could of been dropped by a traveler or Indian trader or perhaps it is a sub-fossil from when the Gulf was higher.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I agree with Mike R. Does not look like a fossil to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It doesn't look like a fossil gastropod for me either, but it nicely bioeroded (bored) probably by sponges, which make it look old. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived