I bought this shark tooth.

DeeMoji

I was at a market in round top tx and went into a little shop that looked cool. They had a box of shark teeth and a box of spino teeth, some geodes natural beads etc 

I picked this tooth up because I’ve always wanted one and it was cheap. 

Do they fake shark teeth? 

C9ED34B1-60AC-4BDB-A2DA-F553205DBD78.jpeg

Don't worry that one is real. It is an Otodus obliguis from Morocco. Sometimes sharkteeth are faked but these teeth are fairly common.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yours is the "Real Mcoy". Usually on the Otodus teeth they are not really faked per say, but rather Frankenstiened crowns attached to roots.

Usually this is quite obvious in that the grout matrix used to fill over the attachment area is a weird off color pinkish to salmon orange or light colored beige.

Once you see enough of these reattachment teeth compared to whole teeth, you'll be able to spot them a mile away.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Don't worry that one is real. It is an Otodus obliguis from Morocco. Sometimes sharkteeth are faked but these teeth are fairly common.

32 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Yours is the "Real Mcoy". Usually on the Otodus teeth they are not really faked per say, but rather Frankenstiened crowns attached to roots.

Usually this is quite obvious in that the grout matrix used to fill over the attachment area is a weird off color pinkish to salmon orange or light colored beige.

Once you see enough of these reattachment teeth compared to whole teeth, you'll be able to spot them a mile away.

Thank you 

Could one of y’all tell me why some fossilized shark teeth are this tan color and some are black? I’ve always wondered. 

It depends on the color of the sediment they are found in.  Small shark teeth are so common it would not be profitable to fake them, not so though on the large teeth

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree that this is an Otodus obliquus tooth.

Usually, the most fake of Moroccan tooth you'll see would be a composite of multiple unassociated shark tooth parts glued together by a giant, inartistic blob of plaster sold in museum shops. Extremely common species like these are simply not worth the money to elaborately fake. Usually faked fossils include reptile jaws, rare trilobite species, and such.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Archived