Late Carboniferous fish or Tetrapod bit?

fossilized6s

Just finished the prep on this guy. When i first found this i thought it was a jaw. Now after it's finished it looks more like a possible pectoral girdle or gill plate/skull element from a lobed finned fish/tetrapod. What do you guys see? I can not find anything like it on thee ol' interwebs.

It's late Carboniferous and i have found everything from micro to large fish scales, flora, Orthacanthus teeth and other bone chunks in this same layer.

Also there is a neat impression of a Lepidodendron on the underside of this piece. Kinda a nice touch when fish were evolving to walk on land. 

And pictures really don't do this thing justice. It's very detailed and three dimensional. 

As Found

20181001_212803_1538449996495.thumb.jpg.aeeec02373ceec6d300e6d69a87882d1.jpg

After some prep and still thinking 'jaw'

20180930_202030_1538357007132.thumb.jpg.1434d7bb2e0c1e26b19ecf5a0f7a65be.jpg

Finished prep. It's not a jaw. Haha

20181001_213223_1538450055987.thumb.jpg.d4813d7d0d0bac41733c48d94bee5c69.jpg

20181001_213052_1538450073234.thumb.jpg.8ce8e30a27b6662a89ddd3e4019883eb.jpg

20181001_214333_1538450096407.thumb.jpg.c82b2daf28f46ca1ac013cf9b1094cca.jpg

Lepidodendron 

20181001_212441_1538450118922.thumb.jpg.9941d22663cc6281abcef78b9a606a40.jpg

Any help or direction is much appreicated! 

@Fossildude19 @Archie @jdp @Carl any thoughts? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Very cool, but I have no idea, either.  :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Are you sure that it is bone?  The structure on the right in the second to last photo looks like a hinge of a clam.  I have seen examples of clams with that dark preservation that looks like bone at first (or second) glance.

Don

Great prep job! Its very similar to skull elements of large lobe fins in the formation I hunt, it does seem pretty chunky for fish though?

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Are you sure that it is bone?  The structure on the right in the second to last photo looks like a hinge of a clam.  I have seen examples of clams with that dark preservation that looks like bone at first (or second) glance.

Don

Yes, it's 100% bone. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Thanks guys. I wish @ckmerlin was still around.

Looks like i need to take a roadtrip to the Field Museum. 

~Charlie~

I found something similar in a paper from 1929 Australia. My piece is a shoulder girdle bone (like i had originally thought). The closest species i can see is a Lungfish from the Devonian. 

Shoulder-girdle-a-Barwickia-downunda-cleithrum-and-clavicle-MV-P181890-b-Barwickia_Q320.jpg.d0556d3f5778440184914347e3d51b98.jpg

~Charlie~

It's quite the puzzle but it doesn't look like any cleithrum or anocleithrum I've seen from a Carboniferous lungfish. One possibility is that you're looking at an internal surface of a bone from a large coelacanth, or alternately that this is one of a handful of tetrapods. I think it's the latter, but I would need to see the other side as well and get a good sense of the three-dimensionality of the specimen.

1 hour ago, jdp said:

It's quite the puzzle but it doesn't look like any cleithrum or anocleithrum I've seen from a Carboniferous lungfish. One possibility is that you're looking at an internal surface of a bone from a large coelacanth, or alternately that this is one of a handful of tetrapods. I think it's the latter, but I would need to see the other side as well and get a good sense of the three-dimensionality of the specimen.

I found the missing link too! Lol

Yes, this is definitely the underside of the bone. And honestly, i didn't plan on removing any of these new finds from their matrix. This one especially is very fragile. I felt like a neurosurgeon prepping this one. 

~Charlie~

Quick update if anyone cares, this look very simular to a unknown fish opercular bone. It's very hard for me to find a species given my limited access to other known fossils. 

~Charlie~

Hi just seen this interesting specimen I think you may have something like a cleithrum or clavicle bone lying ontop of an operculum , the operculum is similar to Rhabdoderma s.p  ones I have although mine are all external surface ones ,  it could be another tetrapod species of course very interesting whatever it turns out to be ,  worthy of further investigation either at your local museum or via email with any experts in your area

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

6 hours ago, ckmerlin said:

Hi just seen this interesting specimen I think you may have something like a cleithrum or clavicle bone lying ontop of an operculum , the operculum is similar to Rhabdoderma s.p  ones I have although mine are all external surface ones ,  it could be another tetrapod species of course very interesting whatever it turns out to be ,  worthy of further investigation either at your local museum or via email with any experts in your area

Thank you for your insight and pointing me in a good direction. 

~Charlie~

Archived