Wolf89

I bought some petrified wood on online, and in the pictures the wood was wet to make it look a lot better. My question is is it okay to coat it with lacquer so it keeps that really nice look?

Lacquer tends to yellow over time, so you might not want to go that route.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Lacquer tends to yellow over time, so you might not want to go that route.  :( 

Is there a better option?

14 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

I bought some petrified wood on online, and in the pictures the wood was wet to make it look a lot better. My question is is it okay to coat it with lacquer so it keeps that really nice look?

they may have literally wet it with water just for the picture.

It is a rockhound's trick to see how a rock might look when polished.  

If you ever go to the rock and gem shows, you will see people looking at rocks they want to buy, spray bottle in hand. :)

I see I misread your post.  You are already aware it was wet for the picture.... :doh!:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Post of picture of your specimen.  It may be that a small rotary sander with diamond pads in various grit settings might brighten things up for you. Or if smaller you may use a dremel with diamond pads.  Really good polish results can be had with hand tools.  Youtube it.

Archived