Locations Near Central Illinois

ItsWednesdayMyDudes

I need help finding locations near or in central Illinois. I was planning on going to Fern Glen, but I was wondering if the entire area is open to the public. If not what good locations are?

Geological maps will point you in the right direction. I doubt people will share their hard earned spots with a person whos first post is askin for spots. 

...I'm back.

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Paul is right, ... hard earned spots in fossil hunting are much like fishing honey-holes. They are not given easily, or lightly. ;) 

You may consider joining a rock/mineral/fossil club that is local to you. 

A club will get you into places that you couldn't get into by yourself, such as quarries and private land. 

Also, doing your own research can be quite rewarding, and give you more insight on where to find things. 

This Website has ancient information that is no longer accurate, but it is a good starting point for your research. 

It is up to you to gain permission to hunt on private lands. Being honest, and upfront with people will sometimes open up opportunities for you. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I live in central Illinois, and that is correct- there are no straightforward publicly accessible sites. Fossil hunting requires getting permission from private or municipal landowners, finding non-local rock dumped on roadsides or near parking lots, or finding exposures on public waterways. All require exploration and work. 

Thankfully, we are not that far from Mazon Creek and the other sites in the northern Illinois area- I recommend joining ESCONI http://www.esconi.org , they go on regular field trips around Chicago and beyond. 

I'm not sure what you are referring to as Fern Glen- do you mean Forest Glen Preserve? As far as I know, no state or county owned parks allow fossil collecting, other than Mazonia-Braidwood. You may be able to find fossils in some of them, but you cannot remove them from the park. 

Archived