Lee Creek North Carolina microfossil "hunt"

Adam86cucv

So I had bought from a certain online auction site some Lee Creek mine microfossil matrix a while back...  I finally got around to looking over a little bit of it this evening.  Attached are what I have found so far without any magnification.

IMG_20181002_222631781.jpg

IMG_20181002_222650036.jpg

The last 2 I am guessing is some sort of fish tooth?  I haven't had a chance to look into IDing any of the finds yet, but would be grateful for any ideas anyone wants to throw out. 

IMG_20181002_222702558.jpg

IMG_20181002_222833846.jpg

IMG_20181002_222901793.jpg

I love Lee Creek micro-matrix! Congrats on your finds, but be careful, this stuff is addictive!

49 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

The last 2 I am guessing is some sort of fish tooth?

Your last two pics are ray teeth. Keep your eyes open -- you'll be finding more. The little "U" shaped root is a dead giveaway, but look for variations, i.e. upper and lower teeth, and some from different species.

Try a little magnification and you will find some great stuff. (My avatar pic is a less than 1 mm unidentified fish tooth from that same matrix.)

Welcome to the world of Lee Creek micro's and Good Luck!

Thanks @NCSTer I never would have thought about a ray tooth.  

Thanks @ynot while waiting for the micro matrix to arrive I had searched a bit and had stumbled upon some info but I didn't bookmark any for quick future reference.

It's definitely been fun just with my naked eyes. I've found as much, if not more than a not so lucky day at the beach.  Eventually I will break out the lighted magnifying glass and the USB microscope.  I will also be trying to get better pictures with the USB microscope.   I think this may have opened a whole can of worms the search for microfossils and the persuit of better pictures of the microfossils.

I have debated putting my sifting pan set to work. The set I have is 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/12", and 1/20" mesh pans.  The 1/2" and 1/4" wouldn't do much besides remove the bigger pebbles and shell fragments.  Not sure it is worth the effort, besides making the matrix I look through more uniform in size. :shrug:

12 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Nice specimens.  Could you post a close-up, individual picture of the specimen circled in red below?

IMG_20181002_222650036.jpg.812451fa2fc8480047a6d7ee61b70d08.thumb.jpg.1fc20fc9b1e7121baf22af566aa8951d.jpg

Marco Sr.

@MarcoSr

Thanks, I am find these little guys to be pretty neat. Here are a couple of pictures of the circled one... it's quite thin, if that helps too

IMG_20181004_220559339.jpg

IMG_20181004_221709386.jpg

16 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Looks to be a broken gill raker.

I had to look a Gill raker up, seems to be a reasonable conclusion.  I think I might have found another one slightly different but also broken in the batch I haven't photographed yet, plus some absolutely tiny shark teeth that I'll need to get out the USB microscope to get a picture of them.

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

Looks to be a broken gill raker.

14 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

@MarcoSr

Thanks, I am find these little guys to be pretty neat. Here are a couple of pictures of the circled one... it's quite thin, if that helps too

IMG_20181004_220559339.jpg

IMG_20181004_221709386.jpg

Definitely looks like a Cetorhinus gill raker.  That is a very rare species from Lee Creek.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Definitely looks like a Cetorhinus gill raker.  That is a very rare species from Lee Creek.

Marco Sr.

Awesome, my son will be excited to hear about that.  I haven't shared any with him yet. :blush:

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, Adam86cucv said:

I have debated putting my sifting pan set to work. The set I have is 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/12", and 1/20" mesh pans.  The 1/2" and 1/4" wouldn't do much besides remove the bigger pebbles and shell fragments.  Not sure it is worth the effort, besides making the matrix I look through more uniform in size. 

Indeed! Give this a try. I starting doing that once I got into picking micro-matrix. By separating the matrix into different size classes you can focus on each size independently. Much easier to spot the tiny little fossils when you are not having to look past the larger bits. You'll find certain types of fossils will group together into different size classes. Tiny Dasyatid stingray teeth like the little one with the double roots pictured above will generally be in the finer size class. Small conical fish teeth tend to slip into the really fine size class as well. I now classify all of my micro-matrix before picking through it--greatly aids efficiency for just a few minutes effort with the stacked sifters.

Welcome to the wonderful world of micro-matrix--it's highly addictive and too late for you now. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, digit said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of micro-matrix--it's highly addictive and too late for you now. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Haha thanks, it sure is.  :dinothumb:

I had an opportunity to look through a bit more matrix tonight.  Pretty little shells and some tiny neat little shark teeth.  I have a couple of unknown bits but can't get my phone to make a decent picture of them.  

IMG_20181113_230013173.jpg

IMG_20181113_225450934.jpg

How old are the fossils here?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Hi,

Miocene (written in tags...).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

How old are the fossils here?

There is a mixture of ages for this material. The phosphate they are mining is the mid Miocene Pungo River Formation but the upper layers of the mine will fall into the shovels and mix with the other material. Pliocene Yorktown Formation and Pleistocene James City and other Pleistocene will be mixed in. The shells are mostly Pleistocene because the aragonite in the Pungo River and Yorktown is leached away at this location.

Archived