How do I determine a fossil’s worth?

DeeMoji

I don’t know if this question is in the right place, I’m sorry.

I’m not asking because I want to sell anything. But.... I was browsing the member trade section and noticed y’all do a secret Santa, (HOW FUN!!) the rules state that the gifted fossil’s value should be worth approximately $30

that got me wondering.... how would you even go about estimating the monetary value of a fossil you find yourself? I’ve been fortunate to find very beautiful things but to me they don’t have a for sale value so I wouldn’t know where to start in my collection to find one that is about a “$30 fossil” lol 

Sorry, is this the dumbest question I’ve posed yet?

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

No such thing as a dumb question.

You can do a google search for similar pieces and see what they are selling for.

Thank you, I have no idea why I didn’t think of that :headscratch: 

PM a trusted member to ask if the value is in the ballpark. We do not give public estimations of value but probably may give them in private as long as we do not get long lists of items to evaluate. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I entered for the first time last year the Secret Santa and found that everyone was pretty happy with there gifts because the Santa’s had been very generous.

4 hours ago, DeeMoji said:

fortunate to find very beautiful things

If you are giving beautiful things in the secret Santa I think your make somebody very happy regardless of the value. It is hard to gauge the right amount to send, look at the past years gifts to help. The fun is in the giving. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

If you are giving beautiful things in the secret Santa I think your make somebody very happy regardless of the value. It is hard to gauge the right amount to send, look at the past years gifts to help. The fun is in the giving. 

Bobby Rico says it well!   If you feel something is beautiful, I am sure someone from a different part of the world, who has no access to the area you hunt in, will find it even more "beautiful" than you do. Don't get hung up on the value of your offering. I am glad there seems to be such a rise in interest in this fun event!!!

@Bobby Rico thank you! I do love giving presents :) I just didn’t want to be a disappointing Santa.

@minnbuckeye thank you, I’d definitely gift something that I’d happily put up on my own display, it just worried me trying to place a value on something I found in the earth. I’d hate to gift too little. 

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

PM a trusted member to ask if the value is in the ballpark. 

Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that either! 

When it comes time to gather something special for my partner, I’ll be sure and ask someone here if it’s enough. :):):) 

I cant wait! 

Deemoji, perhaps you should just send everything you have, the reciever will mill over it pick out what they feel $30 worth is and send you back the rest. :rofl:

Just kidding, relax!

Mike and Bobby summed it up perfectly. You dont need to calculate the retail price of the items. It is the essence of the gift. You send what you want to share with another player. I am sure the reciever will be thrilled with their gift regardless of what they bring on the market.

I on the other hand, go over my stock with a calculator and figure the gift down to the last penny. :P

5 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

@Bobby Rico , does everyone reveal their lovely presents after they open them? 

Yes definitely everybody loves to see the different gifts from around the world . We are one big fossil family. :) I have stared putting together bits and pieces it is a little early but I am already feeling the vibe.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I am already feeling the vibe.

image.png.2177e6a1a757537966fdf9c2fcdce707.png

:D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes definitely everybody loves to see the different gifts from around the world . We are one big fossil family. :) I have stared putting together bits and pieces it is a little early but I am already feeling the vibe.

This is going to be so fun! I think I’ll take a special hunting trip just to see if I can find something extra good :) 

for now I’m off to search to see what people did last year! 

37 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Deemoji, perhaps you should just send everything you have, the reciever will mill over it pick out what they feel $30 worth is and send you back the rest. :rofl:

Just kidding, relax!

Mike and Bobby summed it up perfectly. You dont need to calculate the retail price of the items. It is the essence of the gift. You send what you want to share with another player. I am sure the reciever will be thrilled with their gift regardless of what they bring on the market.

I on the other hand, go over my stock with a calculator and figure the gift down to the last penny. :P

Lol! I just wanted to make sure it will be enough. 

My husband has a special place in San Antonio that we might be going to, and if you dig at our ranch there are arrow heads (not a fossil, I know. But still treasure!) I’m pretty excited :) 

20 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Lol! I just wanted to make sure it will be enough. 

My husband has a special place in San Antonio that we might be going to, and if you dig at our ranch there are arrow heads (not a fossil, I know. But still treasure!) I’m pretty excited :) 

Arrow heads wow I hope you get my name out of the hat. :) They  are on my list of treasures to get. Remember it is Secret Santa don’t give out too many clues 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Arrow heads wow I hope you get my name out of the hat. :)

Lol I do give dad the best ones, but they’re all pretty fantastic. Takes some time to find them! 

27 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Remember it is Secret Santa don’t give out too many clues 

Sorry! I’ll be better now :doh!:

You could always put one of Your crab nodules in the box. I am sure nobody would complain about getting a crab for christmas.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Just disregard who they tell You is Your recipient and send it to Me.

:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

You could always put one of Your crab nodules in the box. I am sure nobody would complain about getting a crab for christmas.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Oh?! someone would like that even though they’re kind of a gamble? 

I know you been given a lot of suggestions for value.  However, for most fossils the best place is past auction prices or sold "Buy It Now" prices on e-bay.  You don't want to use current "Buy It Now" pricing because a lot of those prices are high and the items sit on e-bay forever or get taken down.  You don't want to use current auction prices because a lot of bidders wait to the very end of an auction and bid the item up.  If you use the "Advanced" button next to the "Search" button on e-bay you can search on sold "auction" and "Buy It Now" specimens and get prices.  However you need to understand that there are factors like condition, size, color, rare locality etc.  that can dramatically affect price.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

9 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I know you been given a lot of suggestions for value.  However, for most fossils the best place is past auction prices or sold "Buy It Now" prices on e-bay.  You don't want to use current "Buy It Now" pricing because a lot of those prices are high and the items sit on e-bay forever or get taken down.  You don't want to use current auction prices because a lot of bidders wait to the very end of an auction and bid the item up.  If you use the "Advanced" button next to the "Search" button on e-bay you can search on sold "auction" and "Buy It Now" specimens and get prices.  However you need to understand that there are factors like condition, size, color, rare locality etc.  that can dramatically affect price.

Marco Sr.

Thank you! Good advice :) 

5 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

Marco Sr.

Great advice also if what ever you send, if you would be  happy to receive it . Then you are not far wrong . :)

That is one of the stipulations I put in my Blind Trades thread. Ask yourself, "Would you want this in your collection?" as a judgement for deciding what to send.

I think you might be over worrying this thing.  You send what you want to send.

I think the $30 thing was more or less a limiting guide so someone doesn't send stuff that is over the charts extravagant or too little like a single crinoid stem piece.

It all goes back to "Would I be happy receiving this?"

But since it is a Secret Santa gift, you may want to refrain from any fossilized Elves. :P

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Ask yourself, "Would you want this in your collection?" 

I will definitely send something shelf worthy :) 

Archived