Wow! A Great Trip!

RJB

I finally had some time to go through some of this Fox Hills material yesterday.  Every one of these has problems except the last photo?  Fingers crossed.  Just need time.

RB

DSCN1784.JPG

DSCN1785.JPG

DSCN1786.JPG

DSCN1787.JPG

DSCN1788.JPG

DSCN1789.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Oh, wow, these are the colorfull ones, with the original shell still preserved.

Can not resist, have do use this emo for the first time: :envy:

Have they something to do with the Canadian ammolite, e.g. same formation?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Every one of these has problems except the last photo? 

They're beauties!! and the last one I'm wishing you the best of luck with!!!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

6 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

They're beauties!! and the last one I'm wishing you the best of luck with!!!

What she said :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

The master delivers again, Ron. Kudos:fistbump:.  Love that last Ammonite.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks everyone.  So far ive only gone through some of the small concretions.  Lots more to go through including some very very large concretions.  Gunna be tons of fun. 

RB

19 hours ago, DLB said:

Holy #### way beyond beautiful  WOW! i really love that spiky one looks mean.

Hey Dusten, that one is a male spedini and sorry to say, but that one is already going to a freind of mine who studies those. 

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The master delivers again, Ron. Kudos:fistbump:.  Love that last Ammonite.

Hey Jack, that one I have high hopes for.  If I can get it out of the rock with no damage, and of course if its complete, will be one of those rare gem quality pieces that I covet!!!

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks everyone.  So far ive only gone through some of the small concretions.  Lots more to go through including some very very large concretions.  Gunna be tons of fun. 

RB

Hey Dusten, that one is a male spedini and sorry to say, but that one is already going to a freind of mine who studies those. 

Hey Jack, that one I have high hopes for.  If I can get it out of the rock with no damage, and of course if its complete, will be one of those rare gem quality pieces that I covet!!!

RB

sounds like this will be tons of fun and I cant wate to see all the great stuff preped out.

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip and took home lots of good stuff. I really enjoy your visits and it sparked my interest again and I've started prepping and look forward to our next hunt. Keep the pictures coming. 

9 hours ago, gradykraft said:

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip and took home lots of good stuff. I really enjoy your visits and it sparked my interest again and I've started prepping and look forward to our next hunt. Keep the pictures coming.

Hey Grady, even though I couldnt do much, i had a most enjoyable time with you and family.  Took me 5 or 6 days of rest before I could get up and around after i got home, but all smiles with all that rock!  Thanks man

Ron

Ok, took me a few days to get back in the garage, but what a day!!  I didnt find much, and didnt expect to, but ran into this FREAKIN BEAUTY!!!  I have a super soft spot for these that are gem quality and believe me,  they are far and few between!!!   Out of 3 trips and about 3 tons of rock,  (im not kidding),  this is the 3rd one that has this A-Grade Gem Quality.  No, my bad, this is the 4th.  I did sell one to my ole buddy Jack.  He does not know how lucky he is!!!!!!   And like I always say,, these photos do no justice to the real amazing color this thing has!!!

RB

DSCN1796.JPG

DSCN1797.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Great trip report buddy. I look forward to seeing them prepped out. I'm glad to see you doing better. 

15 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Great trip report buddy. I look forward to seeing them prepped out. I'm glad to see you doing better.

Thanks Jarrod, but no, im doing no better.  Most days are really tuff!   Most days its really hard just to get across the house.  The really good thing is that my wife loves me, and on certain days after lots of rest I can not only make a really good dinner for my wife, but I can get out in the garage and play with  my rocks.   Plus I can still prep, just not as much as I used to.  Life throws some curve balls.  Just gots to handle them and keep going man. 

RB

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

Most days are really tuff!   

We're all pullin' for ya, RJB!  Get-Well-Soon---Ron.gif.b9fc5a3540f7b3a0ebda2475cfd4cf2d.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

3 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

We're all pullin' for ya, RJB!

Thanks man.  I never really wanted to say much, but what my problem is, I had an anurisim. Not sure how to spell that?  but Im purty sure im screwed up for life?  Please do not feel sorry for me.  I do what I can  and I will do what I do.  For me, its now the way it is.  I still can prep and I can still make a mean dinner for the misses.  Its just a lot harder than it used to be.  No worries mate.  :)

RB

Ron, I am sorry to hear of your aneurysm. I assume it was aortic. If it was a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm you are blessed to be alive. Only about 10% of people survive the event. There are things that can be done to help improve your quality of life and health. 

Everything you have shown looks amazing to me. They actually look similar to the Trachyscaphites springer only a lot bigger than those, which we find in the North Sulphur River. Yours have much better preservation and look a lot nicer too.

A dream vacation of mine would be to go hunting in Wyoming, Montana and SD for cephalopods. Just like some you and your son found. I have no clue when I’d ever be able to take such a trip, but that is a dream trip of mine.

Are there any exposures of the Fox Hills Formation that are accessible by the public? If I ever plan to go I need to start collecting info and locations now. It will be a one shot, once in a lifetime trip most likely so I would need to make it count.

I’ve learned that if you really want to do something you have to be intentional. If you aim at nothing you’re sure to hit it.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, took me a few days to get back in the garage, but what a day!!  I didnt find much, and didnt expect to, but ran into this FREAKIN BEAUTY!!!  I have a super soft spot for these that are gem quality and believe me,  they are far and few between!!!   Out of 3 trips and about 3 tons of rock,  (im not kidding),  this is the 3rd one that has this A-Grade Gem Quality.  No, my bad, this is the 4th.  I did sell one to my ole buddy Jack.  He does not know how lucky he is!!!!!!   And like I always say,, these photos do no justice to the real amazing color this thing has!!!

I wonder if a photo out in sunlight might help to show a bit more of the brilliance of this stunning ammo? You've got another couple of weeks to submit it for the next FOTM contest. This beauty should be part of this month's gallery of contenders. @RJB

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I still can prep

You sure as heck can!!! :D

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

13 hours ago, digit said:

I wonder if a photo out in sunlight might help to show a bit more of the brilliance of this stunning ammo? You've got another couple of weeks to submit it for the next FOTM contest. This beauty should be part of this month's gallery of contenders. @RJB

I even told my son that this would win Fossil of The Month contest,  but no, I couldnt do that.  My son found the rock that this came out of.  All i did was find it once the rock got home with me. 

Hey Ron

Came to this late.  Glad you are still kicking.  Have a friend who had a brain aneurysm years ago.  It slowed her down, but she improved remarkably over time, so keep moving and finding and prepping those lovely old rocks.  Yes, wow on some wonderful finds.

14 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Ron, I am sorry to hear of your aneurysm. I assume it was aortic. If it was a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm you are blessed to be alive. Only about 10% of people survive the event. There are things that can be done to help improve your quality of life and health. 

Everything you have shown looks amazing to me. They actually look similar to the Trachyscaphites springer only a lot bigger than those, which we find in the North Sulphur River. Yours have much better preservation and look a lot nicer too.

A dream vacation of mine would be to go hunting in Wyoming, Montana and SD for cephalopods. Just like some you and your son found. I have no clue when I’d ever be able to take such a trip, but that is a dream trip of mine.

Are there any exposures of the Fox Hills Formation that are accessible by the public? If I ever plan to go I need to start collecting info and locations now. It will be a one shot, once in a lifetime trip most likely so I would need to make it count.

I’ve learned that if you really want to do something you have to be intentional. If you aim at nothing you’re sure to hit it.

Thank you for your kind words Kim.     For finding ammo's in most places, it really really helps to know the right people.  Take South Dakota, very little public land in that state.  You have to know someone.    If you ever do make it up here you can always contact my son and see if he will take you out?  So far he has taken no one, but you never know.  and yes, being very intentional can go a long ways. 

RB