Maryland fossil hunting Calvert Cliffs, Flag Ponds

KimTexan

I have been at a conference for my work in Baltimore all week. My conference ends tomorrow and then I plan to go get a rental car and head south to the Chesapeake Bay area to do some hunting or wherever else I can find to hunt. Even just getting out to hike in a nice quiet place would be nice if tides are too high to hunt the beaches. I will be leaving Baltimore around noon and returning home on Sunday noonish I think. I can't remember my departure time, but it is in the afternoon.

I have not worked out any of the details other than rental car and a possible low budget place to stay. The most affordable I found was in Lexington Park area. I have not figured out tides and all that. I am a tad nervous. As a single woman in Texas I think I can handle myself out in the wild. I am not sure about the Chesapeake Bay area. It does not seem so remote. I am not sure if there are areas that are unsafe for a woman to be alone in. I have never hunted this type of environment before. 

When I go hunting in Texas I know what to watch out for. I usually go to very remote places where I rarely ever see anyone. Rattlesnakes, water moccasins and wild hogs are my main concerns when hunting in Texas. I know what to take and what to wear. So, I would appreciate any input with regards to what to look out for, how to be safe, where to find tide info and what not to do kind of stuff.

Comments appreciated.

Hi Welcome  to Maryland. I'm from baltimore county and unfortunately I don't know anything about Lexington Park. I would suggest going to Bay Front Park formerly known as Brownies Beach and Randle Cliff. At this time of year, it should be free . It is not a long walk to the beach and when there walk to your left (south). While teeth can be found before the cliffs begin, I would suggest going around the bend toward the cliffs. There is a lot of area and depending on tides and wind will impact amount of beach and water clarity. I have not been for awhile so can't say how many trees down or cliff falls you might have to negotiate. Tides will also affect how deep the water is to be able to make that bend. Plan on getting wet. Water temp should be ok. If don't want to get very wet-or no waders, you could screen and find smaller shark teeth and porpoise rarer. At Flag ponds  you would not face getting so wet. There is probably a fee.

Hopefully others with more recent experience will give you better info or maybe someone with access to private beach will invite you to hunt. I'm a fellow so may be different for you but I have seen single women hunt and I've never had or seen any problems. Be VERY careful if there are cliffs. Unconsolidated material and lots of rain can cause big portions to fall. Stay back from the cliffs. If hear noise move quickly toward the water. Otherwise no dangerous animals. The clay can be very slippery-a stick would be helpful. Get directions off the internet. I can't help since my grandaughter is getting married Sat. Good hunting and good weather (sudden cool spell) Tides go to www.willyweather.com

@Gizmoat Brownies its a right turn to the cliffs. He's RIGHT-my mistake:doh!:

Kim, if you want to find good stuff go to Brownies Beach. Nobody will bother you. I am sure you will have a great time there. I don't know how cold the water is right now but you may want waders. Good luck.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

At Brownies Beach it's a right turn to the cliffs. Lexington Park is 40 miles south of Brownies Beach and way out of your way unless you want to visit the Calvert Marine Museum. The low tide on Friday at 6:20 PM at Brownies Beach is your best option, expect other collectors.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

The Super 8 in Prince Frederick is where in normally stay when hunting the cliffs if spending the night. It is much closer to Brownies, and not a bad price.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

A good side trip would be a trip down to the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons (https://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com/) .

As the others above said, you won't be bothered at Brownie's, too bad the tide isn't going to be that great for you...regardless, you should come up with some finds.

Good luck and post what you find!

Rob :D

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

The Super 8 in Prince Frederick is where in normally stay when hunting the cliffs if spending the night. It is much closer to Brownies, and not a bad price.

Thank you. I will look into that. I was planning to go to Calvert Cliffs and Flag Ponds. Is Brownies better or easier?

I definitely don’t have waders. I’m willing to get a little wet. I bought capris and thought I might get a bit wet, but no wish to get soaked. Like how wet are we talking if I am there at low tide or as tide is going out?

I wade knee deep+ in the rivers in TX, but the water isn’t moving to speak of. Knee deep on a beach in the Gulf of Mexico is nothing. Knee deep in the Pacific you might get knocked off your feet and pulled out away from the beach depending on where you’re at. North Shore off the far end of the Nepali coast on Kauai, I wouldn’t set foot in the water. Knee deep at Brownies or the others with the tide going out what happens? I’ve never been to the beaches up north on the Atlantic. Granted you’re not directly on the Atlantic. But I’d like some idea. I guess I can watch and see. Sometimes under currents can surprise you.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

At Brownies Beach it's a right turn to the cliffs. Lexington Park is 40 miles south of Brownies Beach and way out of your way unless you want to visit the Calvert Marine Museum. The low tide on Friday at 6:20 PM at Brownies Beach is your best option, expect other collectors.

So I assume 6:20 is when it is at its lowest. So I could go before as it was going out and get a head start on it. 6:20 is getting close to sundown anyway so I wouldn’t want to be too far away from my car and end up walking back in the dark.

I think I asked it above, but here are more questions.

1. For a beginner who has never been hunting on a beach for shark teeth, which would be better Brownies, Calvert Cliffs or Flag Ponds?

2. Which one has the least traffic?

3. Which is the easiest to hunt in terms of the best odds of finding fossils? 

4. Which is the easiest in terms of physical difficulty? I am in reasonable shape, but I may not want to attempt something difficult late in the afternoon before sundown.

5. How far do you have to walk to get to the hunting areas for each place? Again, I’m thinking in terms of if I get there at 4:00 PM or something and have to walk a mile at one place vs 1/4 I’d rather optimize my time and do the quicker local on Friday and do the other on Saturday.

There are places I hunt where you have to walk a mile to get to the hunting spot. Others I can drive right up to the spot.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Thank you for the info!!!

10 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

A good side trip would be a trip down to the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons (https://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com/) .

As the others above said, you won't be bothered at Brownie's, too bad the tide isn't going to be that great for you...regardless, you should come up with some finds.

Good luck and post what you find!

So even at low tide on Saturday tides won’t be great?

If the tides are too high, there are some amazing trails with untouched woods about 30 or so min south of brownies. They run along the Calvert cliffs and there is an overlook that looks over Parker’s creek and the Chesapeake. No beach access, but it’s stunning. 

Also motoaka cabins has a lot more beach than brownies, and is also 30 min or so so south. Just be ready for a 5 dollar fee, and generally fewer teeth, but way more shells than brownies. But big teeth can be found there that’s for sure. 

Good luck,

Conor 

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

It will be fine, but the best scenario is when you can get there on a falling tide...more time to hunt while the water is receding vice having the water rise on you/

Brownie's is better than CC and Flag Ponds, better chance for something really cool there too. As STH said above, Matoaka has plenty of beach, even at high tide but it is better for shells.

Another option would be Purse State Park on the Potomac for Paleocene fossils, plenty of teeth to be found there but the majority will be small.

Ok I’m thinking I can get yo the area by 3:00. Whatever the case I am sure I’ll enjoy the outdoors. I’ve been cooped up in Baltimore. It’s pretty here, but I’m ready for a quieter and slower pace.

The meetings and conferences activities are 12 hour days and then I go out to dinner with people and get back to my room after 10:00. It’s exhausting. I’m ready for some quiet and solitude if I can find it.

All of the places that members have mentioned are nice places to visit. I think that you would enjoy your time at any one of them. In terms of finding sharkteeth, Brownies is your best bet. Flag ponds has more shells and coral but it is quite a walk just to get to the beach. Matoaka is not my favorite but others seem to like it. Just my opinion. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Ok sorry for all the questions. When I search Brownies beach in my map app I find a Brownies Beach Rd that leads to Chesapeake Beach at Bayftont Park. Nothing called Brownies Beach actually comes up besides the road. Is that  Brownies Beach?

Never mind @fossilnut answered my question with the location of the beach. 

Enjoy Brownies beach/Bayfront park.  It's the first one my family went to and still our favorite.

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Are they still charging to park at Bayfront Park, or has that ended for the season?  

Don

Ends after Labor day weekend.

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Thank you. I will look into that. I was planning to go to Calvert Cliffs and Flag Ponds. Is Brownies better or easier?

I definitely don’t have waders. I’m willing to get a little wet. I bought capris and thought I might get a bit wet, but no wish to get soaked. Like how wet are we talking if I am there at low tide or as tide is going out?

I wade knee deep+ in the rivers in TX, but the water isn’t moving to speak of. Knee deep on a beach in the Gulf of Mexico is nothing. Knee deep in the Pacific you might get knocked off your feet and pulled out away from the beach depending on where you’re at. North Shore off the far end of the Nepali coast on Kauai, I wouldn’t set foot in the water. Knee deep at Brownies or the others with the tide going out what happens? I’ve never been to the beaches up north on the Atlantic. Granted you’re not directly on the Atlantic. But I’d like some idea. I guess I can watch and see. Sometimes under currents can surprise you.

So I assume 6:20 is when it is at its lowest. So I could go before as it was going out and get a head start on it. 6:20 is getting close to sundown anyway so I wouldn’t want to be too far away from my car and end up walking back in the dark.

I think I asked it above, but here are more questions.

1. For a beginner who has never been hunting on a beach for shark teeth, which would be better Brownies, Calvert Cliffs or Flag Ponds?

2. Which one has the least traffic?

3. Which is the easiest to hunt in terms of the best odds of finding fossils? 

4. Which is the easiest in terms of physical difficulty? I am in reasonable shape, but I may not want to attempt something difficult late in the afternoon before sundown.

5. How far do you have to walk to get to the hunting areas for each place? Again, I’m thinking in terms of if I get there at 4:00 PM or something and have to walk a mile at one place vs 1/4 I’d rather optimize my time and do the quicker local on Friday and do the other on Saturday.

There are places I hunt where you have to walk a mile to get to the hunting spot. Others I can drive right up to the spot.

Thank you for the info!!!

Go to Brownies Beach around 3:00 PM, you can collect till about 7:00 PM

1. Brownies Beach

2.?

3.Brownies Beach

4.Brownies Beach

5. 1/4 mile to the beach, turn right and start collecting

Ok sorry for all the questions. When I search Brownies beach in my map app I find a Brownies Beach Rd that leads to Chesapeake Beach at Bayftont Park. Nothing called Brownies Beach actually comes up besides the road. Is that  Brownies Beach?

Never mind @fossilnut answered my question with the location of the beach. 

Bayfront Park is Brownies Beach.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Bayfront+Park+MD&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It's best around 6 inches and below, 1+ feet on Saturday swinging to 3 feet is much less than optimal. You could go back to Brownies on Saturday , stay on the main beach and find small fossils most of the day.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.32.17 AM.png

45 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It's best around 6 inches and below, 1+ feet on Saturday swinging to 3 feet is much less than optimal. You could go back to Brownies on Saturday , stay on the main beach and find small fossils most of the day.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 8.32.17 AM.png

Ok. 

Would there be any need for my rock hammer? I don’t want to carry it if there is no need for it.

7 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Ok. 

Would there be any need for my rock hammer? I don’t want to carry it if there is no need for it.

I wouldn't take it.

Archived