minnbuckeye

Galena Gastropod ID

minnbuckeye

This Ordovician gastropod is like no others that I have found. Any knowledgeable members able to educate me??  Maybe a strange maclurite?? Love the hollow crystalline interior.

2018-09-015.thumb.jpg.812f1aa31738cf7f7e32482df3f5b1fe.jpg

Darktooth

You have been a member long enough to know the information the forum needs to help get you the fastest most accurate ID.:P

Fossildude19
2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

You have been a member long enough to know the information the forum needs to help get you the fastest most accurate ID.:P

It's all in the tags! ;) 

I always forget to look there. :blush:

KimTexan

@Herb is the most serious gastropod guy I know with a pretty amazing collection.

If that doesn’t work there is a Facebook gastropod group that is pretty serious if you’re on FB. I see the most awesome gastropod fossils I have ever seen show up on that group. They’re stunning.

westcoast

Are you sure that it's not a cephalopod?

Darktooth
6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

It's all in the tags! ;) 

I always forget to look there. :blush:

Oops! Me and my big mouth! Sorry!:D

minnbuckeye

@Darktooth, you are still correct in that I should have provided the info below in the text. Unfortunately, I had to close my new post early to go on an emergency call (I am a veterinarian) and knew my post was not as good as it should have been.

@westcoast, I thought of the possibility but couldn't come up with an ID. If you look, this specimen this partial. It curled around an additional 270 degrees.

minnbuckeye
6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

If that doesn’t work there is a Facebook gastropod group that is pretty serious if you’re on FB.

Unfortunately, I shy away from facebook .

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Oops! Me and my big mouth! Sorry!:D

No worries. :) 

I just know that if I don't see it in the body of the post, the next place to check is the tags. 

Slowly, I am training myself to do this. ;) 

I find I have to actually stop, and think "Check the tags!"  

KimTexan
57 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Unfortunately, I shy away from facebook .

I don’t do much on there at all except for the fossil groups. The Dallas Paleontological Society has a very active Group Page. I have learned tons on there about sites and fossils found in the area, fossil identification, as well as events. I have also learned a lot about formations on there too. It has been a great resource for fossil hunting in my area.  

I orginally was coerced into joining FB. A close and dear cousin and his wife had just had a baby. He told me the only way I would get to see any pics was to join FB. Baby pics are irresistible. So I joined.

Fossildude19

Any chance of it being a Bellerophontid gastropod? 

Coco
7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Herb is the most serious gastropod guy I know with a pretty amazing collection.

If that doesn’t work there is a Facebook gastropod group that is pretty serious if you’re on FB. I see the most awesome gastropod fossils I have ever seen show up on that group. They’re stunning.

These people aren't on the forum ? They are only on FB ? What a pity ! Because like me a lot of people don't have count and we can't benefit from their knowledge and their photos ! It would be nice if they come here !

Coco

minnbuckeye

@Fossildude19, a good guess. the local Bellerophontid gastropods that I find are small. this is MUCH larger. Maybe there is a species that gets this large.

Raggedy Man
9 hours ago, westcoast said:

Are you sure that it's not a cephalopod?

Im inclined to ask this question again as there wasn't a reply. Im also on the cephalopod bus.

minnbuckeye

@Coco, Herb is definitely on this forum and usually responds with informative material.

@Raggedy Man, with you having hunted in this formation, do you know of any cephs that remotely fit  this specimen? I can't find any. I wish there were more research into our area than exists.

Mike

Packy

The way that the section is broken off is curved and looks like it has a sphinacle, looks like a nice cephalopod to me.  What  state and formation is it from? packy

Raggedy Man
53 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Coco, Herb is definitely on this forum and usually responds with informative material.

@Raggedy Man, with you having hunted in this formation, do you know of any cephs that remotely fit  this specimen? I can't find any. I wish there were more research into our area than exists.

Mike

Sadly, no. I also cannot recall seeing any gastropods that fit this as well. I do agree though that sufficient research material is lacking in our area. 

caldigger
12 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Serious?!  That is a term I am unfamiliar with. I will have to look it up sometime.

erose
6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Fossildude19, a good guess. the local Bellerophontid gastropods that I find are small. this is MUCH larger. Maybe there is a species that gets this large.

Here is a Cincinnatian species that does get fairly big:

https://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/gastropoda/Salpingostoma.html

fifbrindacier
On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, Coco said:

These people aren't on the forum ? They are only on FB ? What a pity ! Because like me a lot of people don't have count and we can't benefit from their knowledge and their photos ! It would be nice if they come here !

Coco

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, KimTexan said:

I don’t do much on there at all except for the fossil groups. The Dallas Paleontological Society has a very active Group Page. I have learned tons on there about sites and fossils found in the area, fossil identification, as well as events. I have also learned a lot about formations on there too. It has been a great resource for fossil hunting in my area.  

I orginally was coerced into joining FB. A close and dear cousin and his wife had just had a baby. He told me the only way I would get to see any pics was to join FB. Baby pics are irresistible. So I joined.

I'm on fb but Don't visit it often, except to post some of my fossils.

Bullsnake

@minnbuckeye

Can you tell if it is conical?

I found this in 'Index Fossils of North America'. It is widespread in the Ordovician/Silurian and known in the Mississippi valley.

Eotomaria spp.

The one circled is Eotomaria supracingulata.

I hope this helps, or at least is a lead.

IMG_1329.jpg.b3bd4d5e51e9b59f2e7c0bfd540a80c0.jpg

Monica

Hey @minnbuckeye!

How about a monoplacophoran?  I know that the genus Cyrtolites is found in my area (Upper Ordovician), and apparently it's also been found in the Upper Ordovician of Kentucky...

minnbuckeye

@Monica, this specimen definitely spirals around. As mentioned, the outer whirl is broken off. So it is unlikely it is a monoplacophoran. Those are neat! Never ran into one before.

@Bullsnake, looks like a definite possibility!! found mention of it in a few Minnesota publications!!

Herb

maybe Sinuites sp?

Herb

also possibly Phragmolites sp