Keichosaurus fossil - real or fake?

Squirrelman91

Hi everyone,

I’ve read a few posts by others about their dubious Keichosaurus fossils, so I understand the gist of the situation when it comes to these pieces, but still wanted more than one opinion on a Keichosaurus I may obtain. I don’t necessarily mind having a piece that is enhanced a bit, but what I do not want is a completely bogus fossil. If anyone can tell me how much authenticity they believe this fossil to have based on photos alone, I’d love any feedback.

It’s being offered to me for trade by another collector in exchange for my 4.2 inch Carcharodontosaurus tooth. I got my tooth for a very fair price, and so my concern is letting go of this tooth and not being able to replace it for a similar reasonable price. It’s not a perfect Carch but it is a nice one. Bad trade? Good trade? 

0556AEBC-0794-4890-87D7-452A60D55700.jpeg

FDAEE391-455A-4EA5-9CAF-9F8E30800B75.jpeg

A92E2CD0-93E3-4FAE-AD60-66A0BEB326D5.jpeg

D1552369-5D15-41B6-A88F-F210C7385723.jpeg

It would help to get much closer photos, so the viewer can see bone definition or if there has been painting done. :)

30 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It would help to get much closer photos, so the viewer can see bone definition or if there has been painting done. :)

I’ll see if I can get closer pictures!

If you are in a position to view the piece in person, painted areas are easily detected under magnification. Even a 10X loupe will reveal paint mischief. It is impossible for anyone to "paint within the lines" on such a small scale and the "flat" nature of painted on digits and tail verts are readily distinguishable from authentic 3-D material.

In a general sense, I believe these common fossils are not fakes as often as popular belief suggests. Paint enhancement, sure; but carved forgeries, not so much.

Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

This Keichosaurus is in the ventral position. I think it is ok but the pictures are too blurry when zooming in to really call it. Better pictures and we will be more positive in our advice.  :dinothumb:

26 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

If you are in a position to view the piece in person, painted areas are easily detected under magnification. Even a 10X loupe will reveal paint mischief. It is impossible for anyone to "paint within the lines" on such a small scale and the "flat" nature of painted on digits and tail verts are readily distinguishable from authentic 3-D material.

In a general sense, I believe these common fossils are not fakes as often as popular belief suggests. Paint enhancement, sure; but carved forgeries, not so much.

Good luck, have fun. 

Unfortunately he’s from Europe, so I wouldn’t be able to take a good look until it arrived. And he doesn’t have a great camera so the closer photos he sent me are too blurry to be useful.

That is encouraging to hear! I’d hate to find out it’s totally fake later on. I don’t mind enhancement as long as I know it’s enhanced, and as long as it is done well.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

This Keichosaurus is in the ventral position. I think it is ok but the pictures are too blurry when zooming in to really call it. Better pictures and we will more positive in our advice.  :dinothumb:

Thank you for your response Bobby! Unfortunately the close up shots he sent me are very blurry, he doesn’t have a great camera so I may not be able to get significantly better pictures.

This Keichosaurus is in the ventral position. I think it is ok but the pictures are too blurry when zooming in to really call it. Better pictures and we will be more positive in our advice.  :dinothumb:

Hey Bobby, I think it is actually in a dorsal view. The ventral view would show the pelvis and shoulder girdle bones. 

See this post. 

The pictures from that post that show Ventral vs. Dorsal presentation.

Unbenannt.JPG     Unbenannt 2.JPG

That said, I would personally refuse the trade, without better pictures.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 10/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Hey Bobby, I think it is actually in a dorsal view. The ventral view would show the pelvis and shoulder girdle bones. 

See this post. 

That said, I would personally refuse the trade, without better pictures.  :unsure: 

Sorry I that’s what I meant to say . I do get a little mixed up at the moment but you saved it. thank you Tim

Sorry I that’s what I meant to say . I do get a little mixed up at the moment but you saved it. thank you Tim

No worries, friend. 

I get mixed up with with terms all the time. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 10/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, Fossildude19 said:

See this post. 

Thank you so much for your input and the informative pictures! :)

This seems to be a typical acid prepared Keichosaurus.  It is a juvenile.  Based on the photos, it looks like there are some painted parts.

I agree with Crazyhen.

Skull and some parts of the body looks odd for me.

But as already said, will need more detailed fotos to determine.

Maybe if you compare it to mine that is 100% genuine it may help . 

If you can’t get better pictures I would not trade. My Keichosaurus has only been photographed with a phone.

D7695E49-9111-4BA6-8C93-5723B9A39F9E.jpeg

On 10/6/2018 at 2:07 PM, Squirrelman91 said:

Unfortunately he’s from Europe, so I wouldn’t be able to take a good look until it arrived. And he doesn’t have a great camera so the closer photos he sent me are too blurry to be useful.

That is encouraging to hear! I’d hate to find out it’s totally fake later on. I don’t mind enhancement as long as I know it’s enhanced, and as long as it is done well.

He could at least retake the photos in better light. 

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

You need better pics.

Some of the toes look painted, and maybe part of the skull too... that is just my guestimate though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I`am new in this forum.

My name is Marc (33) from germany.

Please excuse my short sentences and bad language. It`s a long time ago I spoke / wrote english the last time... ;)

What do you think about this Keichosaurus?

I think it looks real, but I´am not shure...

Are the hands painted (or something else?).

It looks quite "to" perfect.

Perhaps a total fake?

I didn`t find someone in germay who can give me some assessments to this Keichosaurus.

Thanks for your help!

I`am curious about it.

Greets

Marc

3c40bf29-728c-438d-bb9a-523ce4d46c39.jpg

4fc09147-e959-4229-b3fd-deef6fbb63ee.jpg

18a8d93f-5612-482c-8c5f-690be004cb45.jpg

71ff93ad-e278-4fbc-80e6-392c57287a10.jpg

84f02a3c-e55f-4961-9dd1-965f0672e0c1.jpg

e5308578-5afd-4c8a-9306-9e9018d7810e.jpg

ea540b2c-d4ec-4257-ab58-a586d8e57b0a.jpg

6cec9daa-732b-4681-a52e-875f4c6e7fdf.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

It is a genuine fossil of Keichosaurus hui.  It was acid prepped and it might have been slightly painted on some bones.

Archived