Ordovician: Echinoderm scale?

Mesoceph

Finally, I have a fossil with some geological information associated.  This piece is from the lower Ordovician Wah Wah Formation, specifically Section J in the Confusion Mountains in western Utah.  I believe it might be an echinoderm scale.  I would be thrilled if anyone could verify that and/or add any additional taxonomic information for me.  Thank you so very much for your thoughts, and please let me know if you need additional photographs and I will do my best!

DSCN1647

DSCN1646

DSCN1648

Can not see the detail in these pictures.

Can You please take closer pictures and load them directly into this thread.

Does not look crinoid.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the Forum Marie.

I see tubes that branch. Coral is my first uncertain guess. Bryozoan and sponge are possibilities.

Up close photos will help. If you have a phone camera you can put a hand lens in front of the lens to get closer photos. Also, please download all photos directly to the Forum, since links to Flickr and other sites dissapear and are not permanent. 

Thanks, 

John

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum Marie.

I see tubes that branch. Coral is my first uncertain guess. Bryozoan and sponge are possibilities.

Up close photos will help. If you have a phone camera you can put a hand lens in front of the lens to get closer photos. Also, please download all photos directly to the Forum, since links to Flickr and other sites dissapear and are not permanent. 

Thanks, 

John

Thank you!  One technical question: I have found that I am very limited by size for how many photos I can upload to the site (I had an account here with a few posts before it crashed a while back).  Is there a way around that?  

On a pc you can crop the photo (which is always a good idea) and reduce the resolution. On phones you can often crop them and you can email them to yourself to reduce their size. You can also add more photos to your post after you have already posted it or hit the refresh button.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

33 minutes ago, Mesoceph said:

I have found that I am very limited by size for how many photos I can upload to the site

It is best if You have no more than four pictures per post (just under 1 meg file size per picture).

This will allow Us to see the details of the items better.

You can add as many replies to a thread as You like or need.

Sometimes it is necessary to refresh the page to clear the editor.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Brightened and cropped: 

44234539395_4038d4ee2f_o.jpg

45097399002_2ce902ce92_o.jpg

45097400932_c9f58b0b5f_o.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for posting those!  I have been fighting with my computer to try to upload additional pictures, but the SD reader is old and sometimes won't work.  I will try again tomorrow and see if I can get new pictures uploaded.  In the mean time, I did want to post a clarification of the features of the fossil.  The depressions in the surface do not go anywhere as far as I can see.  In fact, some of them are broken in half and all that is visible is a very slight depression with solid material underneath.  When I get the SD reader working, I will post a shot of the broken edge as well.

I also think it's most likely a coral. Something like Sarcinula (a tabulate) can have that fairly regular distribution of corallites. 

Waiting for new photos!

Tarquin