Thecosmilia Trichitoma

How do you identify the layer schlacke in Holzmaden

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I'm sure that Sebastian (belemniten) can give you a good description, but if you ever happen to be in the area, just visit the museum first before you go collecting. There you can study the layered stack of shale which is on exhibit and which explains everything you need to know about the exposed lithological strata.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Its relativley easy to find the "Schlacke" layer there. Its a very very hard layer which isnt really fissionable (not sure if this is the correct word...). It is full of fossil parts, like fish parts, remains of belemnits, bivalves ... 

Here is a picture of the layer:

1000.thumb.JPG.742d4ae1822f0fd5544c3c65d8602c2e.JPG

This is the layer you have to search, when you want to find vertebrates. Teeth and remains of bones arent common but its not impossible to find :)

Good luck! Can I ask you in which quarry you wanna hunt?

At the moment I dont really have time but if you further questions just ask them :)

• I found this Informative 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thank you. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain