York River ID

BayFinds

Hello,

Can anyone help me ID this item I found along the York River near Williamsburg, Virginia? Measurements are in inches. 

DC6E56C1-0FF6-4081-AFD6-D70DEFEA90FD.jpeg

5C767716-6B5F-4D87-9113-1660525EB84F.jpeg

I don't know what the item is itself, but the pattern on it reminds me of attachment marks from barnacles.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It could very well be an internal most of a clam, however I just spent the weekend on  Solomon Island hunting Chesapeake Bay site’s. I also went to Calvert Marine Museum which has a nice collection of fossils found in the Bay Area. It was actually a special event there this weekend. I got to talk with one of the guys at the museum and he showed me all kinds of stuff and took me to his prep room. One of the things he showed me was a nose bone of a sunfish. The one he handed me actually looked a bit like a bivalve, but it was more like mineralized bone texture. I think he said they rub their noses against corals and shell to break them up so they develop this calcarous bump on their noses. Not all of them look like a bivalve though. The one on display didn’t have a grove in it.

So, does it have a bone texture to it?

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

It could very well be an internal most of a clam, however I just spent the weekend on  Solomon Island hunting Chesapeake Bay site’s. I also went to Calvert Marine Museum which has a nice collection of fossils found in the Bay Area. It was actually a special event there this weekend. I got to talk with one of the guys at the museum and he showed me all kinds of stuff and took me to his prep room. One of the things he showed me was a nose bone of a sunfish. The one he handed me actually looked a bit like a bivalve, but it was more like mineralized bone texture. I think he said they rub their noses against corals and shell to break them up so they develop this calcarous bump on their noses. Not all of them look like a bivalve though. The one on display didn’t have a grove in it.

So, does it have a bone texture to it?

No bone texture. It’s very smooth, but just looks like it has texture.