Shark tooth need help with

PalmaShell

Purchased at a fair today since I won't be getting out for a month or so to get my itch. Need help with ID as I'm a noob. I'm thinking either Lemon, Mako, or Great White but could be completely wrong. was purchased with a Trilobite just to start the collection going. Thanks for all help. 

43374033_331676660940386_798843258263306240_n.jpg

Otodus obliquus, cusps are missing.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Looks like it is from Morocco. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I agree, the tooth is that from a megalodon ancestor, scientific name Otodus obliquus. Based on the color of the tooth, it looks like it's from Morocco. The tooth appears to be broken a bit and missing cusps.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Haha I'll take what info I can get. Figured it was "different" because it in a bin with all the same looking teeth and was the odd one out. Not having the cusps is what made me grab it. Contrary to popular belief, you're not different, just damaged lol. Thanks guys. I'm still happy with it cause it looks better than the others how it is IMO. I'm sure the cusps threw me off but I should have figured it would be the same as the others.

9 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I'm not so certain that this is Ototdus.  For comparison:

C. appendiculata is a purely Turonian species (Siversson et al., 2015), check discussion here

The Tooth Fairy

2 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

C. appendiculata is a purely Turonian species (Siversson et al., 2015), check discussion here

I think you've overstated Siverson's position on Cretolamna, that poorly-known genus from the Maastrichtian and Danian.  Unfortunately, MikaelS didn't respond to @Untitled.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, MikaelS said:

First or second upper anterior of Cretalamna ex gr. borealis.

This was, btw, the dominant Cretalamna group in the Paleocene with several undescribed species. Maastrichtian Cretalamna are poorly known (apart from C. lata).

Cretalamna appendiculata sensu stricto appears to be restricted to the Turonian of northwest Europe as far as I can tell.

Untitled responded:

Thank you for this insight!  I know that Cretalamna Appendiculata used to be a waste-bucket of sorts for several similar species, but how does one identify these similar species from each other; what traits would separate this species from these other ones?  Based on Moroccan teeth alone, it seems that there are a few different 'styles' that would all likely be considered Cretalamna, but how would you classify these- as different forms of that same species, or as different ones entirely?  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived