Marine reptile/dinosaur ID help (New Jersey Cretaceous)

frankh8147

I found this in Monmouth County, New Jersey (USA) last week and was wondering if anyone knew what it was. When I first picked it up, I thought it was turtle shell but the bone structure doesn't compare well at all with the other turtle shell examples I've found.

The top part is what I was focusing on because it doesn't look that was formed as a result of breaks and wear to me. I guess it could be older breaks and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure that I'm out of luck getting an ID on it but I figured I would give it a shot.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!  -Frank

newbone8.jpg

newbone9.jpg

newbone2.jpg

newbone3.jpg

Doesn't look like turtle to me as well. What is the size on it? The holes and marks on it are definitely how it was originally and not wear. Those markings would have been on the outer surface. I don't know if you can identify it to a specific animal with a high degree of certainty.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

44 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Reminds me of croc jaw fragment.

That was actually my first thought - an anterior portion of the dentary of a Croc jaw.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Thanks everyone - here is another angle, in case it helps. 

This picture is looking down and that wavy part (the top part in my first set of pictures).

@The Jersey Devil It's roughly 3.8 inches long.

last.jpg

Archived